• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rust Removal on fishing equipment

Lunker

Question

Anyone have any good ideas for removing rust from fishing lures and other stuff. I don't mean the hooks, but when the rust stains the paint on jigs and other lures it really sucks. Any solutions besides scrubbing? It's hard to scrub a little jig so I was hoping there are some liquid solutions they could be soaked in. Thanks

15 answers to this question

I personally find WD40 to be junk, but it is the best stuff in the world at removing rust. And when your stuff is clean, put an "Inhibitor" VCI chip in your box.

I know, real guys have a love affair with WD40, but as far as lubricants go, it definitely has superiors.

They don't put WD40 next to the fish attractants in the sporting goods stores to keep the lids lubed up. It's there because it's requested so much. I personally dont use it but many do.

[This message has been edited by #Boater# (edited 01-19-2004).]

I use WD-40 on my spawn sacks while salmon fishing. Others I know use it on thier lures. That and anus(sp?) grin.gif oil has a scent that fish like for some reason. The lure slides down thier throats too!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 01-19-2004).]

Can it be luck,
Just so we don't confuse too many people, I think what you were refering to was "Anise Oil" the stuff that smells like black jelly beans. If it really was anus oil, I stand corrected.

Ole

Sorry Lunker for straying off course. smile.gif I can relate to your problem, I can't count how many baits that have been ruined or stained by rust. I wonder if something like Oxy-Clean would work? Scrubbing sucks! Trying to scrub and hold those small baits and jigs can leave you with cramped up hands. It would be nice to have a solution that you can dip them in and requires minimal work. Oil and lubes will work, but who wants that all over everything? I have a habit of takeing all my new lures out of thier packages and placeing them in my tackle boxes, leaveing them exposed to rust. They probably design lures to rust...So we buy more!! smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Anything slightly acidic will work as a rust remover. The more acidic the better but you'll have to watch out not to "burn" the rest of the lure. Limit contact time and you should be alright. Usually no worries about lingering scent with this also. I could recommend a few products but I would guess the most widely available and most recognized name would be CLR. You can pick it up at most stores.

I asked the same question a couple months ago. Someone suggested CLR. I bought some and dropped in 50 or so painted jigs with rusted hooks in a cup full and left them over night. The next day I rinsed them off and "presto" good as new.