• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger collar bolt

Gus

Question

What do you guys do to keep your collar bolt from getting loose? I've got a strikemaster lazer 2hp and I'm constantly having to check it. I tried some of the red loctite last time and I was surprised to find out that although it helped, it still was somewhat loose when I checked it.

9 answers to this question

Guess what, I lost my auger head last year because of that dumb bolt! Drilled a hole and at the right possible moment as the auger bit through the ice the auger went for a swim. That was the day the underwater camera almost paid for itself grin.gif

I went to a hardware store and matched the size of the strikemaster bolt to a new 2" bolt with a lock nut. Must be the right diameter to screw into the threads, then add the lock nut on the end and tighten. That ended all of the problems!

[This message has been edited by ChuckN (edited 01-14-2004).]

I've got the same auger. We had a post last winter about this topic...it seems to be a fairly common problem. I just keep a wrench with me, and check it periodically to make sure it is tight. I also have a new/spare collar bolt that I carry around with me - just in case. You can order them from Strikemaster's HSOforum.

I don't like getting them too firmly locked in, because you need to be able to take it out if you want to put the extension on...

[This message has been edited by Jarrod32 (edited 01-14-2004).]

Easy solution.......this has been discussed before, but all you need to do is put a couple layers of black tape (or duct tape)around the collar after tightening the bolt down. Simple, works great, and can be easily removed when / if you need to add an extension. I always carry a roll of duct tape when on the road.

Try Thread Loc. it will hold the bolt well. It comes in a red tube and you can get it at any auto store. It is a liquid that you put on the bolt and it works like a glue to hold it in place. You can still remove the bolt but it will take a little more torque. JB weld will weld it and then you will never be able to take it out so you don't want to do that. The double nut idea will work always has always will.

Or maybe you guys just need a jiffy they spin so fast the bolts don't have an opportunity to fall out. LOL

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 01-14-2004).]