• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum VS 560 or Ice pro?

Question

Does anyone have either of these cameras and if so, how do you like it? I'm in the mood for a camera and don't know where to start but I like the price of the Ice Pro but I'm not sure if I would like the top-view only viewing? My other camera of interest right now is the Marcum VS 560 but not sure if they are worth the money and the wait? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I would use the camera mostly on the ice but possibly in the boat if it's not too much of a pain. Not sure if that fancy VS 560 would hold up in a boat if it bangs across a rock or two?? Thanks, Andy

19 answers to this question

Andy,

If you have any plans of using the camera during the summer I would just upgrade to the Aqua-Vu Z-Series. It retails at $299.99 so it's $30 higher than the Ice-Pro. But you can use it horizontal, or with the enclosed Down-viewing fin you can also have the down-viewing feature. And this is a much more versatile unit.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Your comparing two very different price ranges here... The VS560 will be a heck of a lot better camera, and also quite a lot more $. I've heard battery life on that Aqua Pro isn't very good, maybe due to screen size?

I personally don't like viewing down, as I can't tell what height the fish are at when they come into the bait. You can always rig any of these cameras to point down, just by putting a tie on the cable.

I looked at one at the ice fishing show in December and my thought was awesome features, but a lot of stuff that could go wrong. I have the older model, but would love to have all the features on vs 560.

Any new design will have some bugs that need to be corrected prior to release. I just meant I'd much rather see a delay in the release of a new product if that is what it takes. It sure beats having issues come up down the road. They haven't had a bad product release that I know of ever. I'm sure they are taking the necessary steps to make this the best camera available on the market. MarCum's customer service is excellent as well. If any issues were to come up, they will take care of you.

I just bought the Aqua-Vu Z-60 and love it. I think that the Z series are the best for the money as the mc lights and all the other do dads aren't really worth it. The Z series is a bit more but can be used to view down or horizontal and can be used in summer. I also like the video out on the screen to record or watch on a 20" inch screen in a permanent shack. To bad the Ice Pro did not view horizontally.

I have the mc2x and find the colored lights close to useless. I'd go with the Z series if I was looking at an Aqua-vu now. If you want to point it down, just pull it up on the back with a plastic tie wrap. Works great either down or straight across.

The VS560 will have a much better lighting system than any of these and I'm very anxious to try it out. It also has a panning camera head, eliminating the cable twisting and turning.

The Ice Pro can view horizontally. All you have to do is rig up a bracket for it. I like the 7" screen and for the price you cannot really go wrong. In shallow water the down view is a great option. The battery only runs for 5 hours. Just pick up another battery for 20 bucks and you get a nice unit for under $300.

Why is the battery life so low on those, screen size I suppose? I heard the same, that it was only 5 hrs. I must get at least 10 on my Aqua-vu mc2x. Your right though, you can't hardly go wrong with the price on those units.

DanWood,

I currently have a OVS 300 camerea that I use all the time except in low light conditions and of course at night. I scene night viedo footage of the OVS 560 at the ice fishing show. Have you or anybody on "Fishing Minnesota" actually fished with one at night. It must work at night for me to jusify on buying a new one. I know the OVS 500 workerd a liitle bit at night with alot of reflection though.

Thanks for your input.

Peace,

SmellyJelly

[This message has been edited by SmellyJelly (edited 01-15-2004).]

SmellyJelly,
Hopefully I can give you an answer in a couple weeks. I don't have a unit yet. I believe the only units out now are prototypes. The reports I got on the lights were unbelieveable. I am anticipating, based on reports I've heard from the prototypes, that the lighting system will be very good. I can't give you any first hand info. yet though. The panning head is also something I'm excited about - playing around with the cable and that slow response time is not the way to do it.

Now I have been doing alot of reading on something similar to what everyone is talking about. But they compare Aqua View to Atlantis. Now for me I have neither. But I am looking to get one. Which is the better camera for the price? I always here people say that sight fishing is the new way to go. Any insight?

Cameras are a real blast and you will learn a ton using one as well.

Atlantis has a panning head camera, but it has a hefty tag at around 1 grand. It doesn't have the new lighting system either that will be available on the MarCum 560.

I'm definitely looking forward to the OVS560. I've used the OVS500 several times while out fishing and its an excellent underwater camera and the OVS560 will be one step higher. With the new OVS560 you can expect more from your underwater camera and the features are very nice to have. The new lighting system is at the top of the game and you can expect to have better visibility in darker, more stained water.

As far as comparaing the OVS to Aqua Vu or Atlantis, they are all nice cameras and I've used Aqua Vu in the past and they get the job done, but I'm sold on the OVS. The rotational feature was a big seller on the OVS500 as well as the neatness at which the unit was set-up, and the new features on the OVS560 put it ahead of the rest in my opinion. Visibility in the water is my number one concern when looking for an underwater camera and I like the OVS.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy