• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gear in Portable

Question

Just got an Otter this weekend. One question , how do you guys keep your stuff intact , not bouncing around like popcorn , inside the sled when your pulling it with a sled or an atv ?

10 answers to this question

ha ha ,ya I know but sometimes it just isn't possible or feasible. A week or two back we were coming in thru a snow storm on an atv and I pretty much had to stay "on" it in order to not get stuck in the quickly forming drifts. We're talkin 25mph though , not 50. Even slow though you have to go over ruts and drifts and ice heaves and things and everything ****fs from front to back or side to side..

I use a big black rubbermaid tub. The black one with the grey lid. I've lined mine witih foam. My budder heater, 10lb tank, vexilar, my rod bag, and misc stuff all packs nice. The handle on the buddy fits snug against the lid of the rubbermaid tub. I use the tub as a bench seat as well. I use a boat seat, and it's quite comfortable. My auger is mounted to the rack on the back of my widetrak snocat. I can fly along at a pretty good clip, and everything stays put. It's the best system I've found.

I found that 3/4 neoprene rubber used as insulation of tanks works great. Placed it in the bottom of the sled and protected it by gluing canvas on the top side. Then also use thoose plastic totes to prevent things sliding around. My lattern rides in a block of furnature foam and have not had to replace mantals in 2 years. This is after multilple 25 miles runs at 40mph plus. Just make sure your hitch has a roll limiter to stop sled from rolling completly over

After you load your otter with the following:
gas auger , hand auger for back up , gas for auger , 5gal pail with vexilar, camera , radio , cell phone , another 5 gal pail with 6 rods , rod holders , ice anchors , propane lamp, another 5 gal pail with 6 or 7 1lb propane bottles,another 5 gal pail to hold minnow bucket, then add 2 portable buddy heaters and a big dipper. finish off with one case of beer , a 2 liter litre bottle of pop and assorted munchies. and trust me me nothing will rattle around , you almost wish it did to help get it all out grin.gif

Trial and error? I've tried to abandon as many 5 gallon pails as possible. I have a big atv style bag that straps on my front rack, I can jam a lot of stuff in there, including my lantern, vexilar, tackle, snacks, beverages, things I'll never use but like to have and lastly the fishing rods. I have a plastic tub on the back rack for minnows, propane, and heater, and auger (make sure snow isn't flying up off wheels and coating the buddy heater, trust me it's hard to start then). I haven't perfected putting the auger in the tub yet how I'd like it, but I've never lost it either. If I drive back to the vehicle during the day, I sometimes bring the auger back with me to avoid the hassle (if I'm done drilling holes). I've thought it would be easier to drag my PROV out there and just fish out of the boat at times!

I constructed an insert made with 2x2's and 1/4 inch plywood, it is lined with 2" rigid foam insulation. The insert is about half as wide as the sled and the same length, and sits about 6 inches above the top of my sled.

The top of the insert has 2 boat seats mouned to it, one of the boat seats sits on a hinged lid where I have access to a compartement with a 25# propane cylinder (my sunflower and buddy run off of tubing from the tank). There is a large center hinged lid to allow access to the main storage area, where I have 8 rod tubes made from PVC tubing and plenty of room for 2 lanterns a 5 gal bucket, tackle, etc. I picked up a small cargo net, and mounted that one of the sides of the insert to secure any miscellaneous gear and keep if from bouncing around. The foam insulation adds a little bit of shock absorption as well.

Since the insert is only half as wide as the sled I have room to put my auger next to it, or anything else I have to haul around.

After many trips back and forth from the lake everything is well secured and I haven't broken anything yet. It adds about 20 pounds to my Otter Resort, but the 4-wheeler handles it just fine.

Buy a custom cover from Otter too--it keeps the snow and junk from coating your stuff--the chains on my 4-wheeler toss a lot of snow into the sled as I'm towing--at any speed...

------------------
Chells