• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My new jiffy won't start.

Question

Just got a 2hp. jiffy legend took it out of the box, tried to start it on and off for about 3 hours and nothing. Bought a new spark plug and that didn't help, so I guess I'll have to send it back to Cabela's. Talked to some of the small engine guys in my area and they said that the magneto probably went kaput.

Wouldn't have mattered, they both have the same engines. Make sure your using high octane gas and that the kill switch is set to on or run.

[This message has been edited by whitetip (edited 01-10-2004).]

remove the plug, then put it back on the plug wire. ground it to the motor and give it a pull to check for spark. no spark, check your switch. if it has spark, give it a shot of starting fluid or gas, then put then plug back in. finger tight is good enough. see if it fires.
gte

Having the same problem with mine which I got from Santa. It did start the first couple of times, but each time took a while and a lot of pulling.

Yesterday, however it really didn't want to start. I did find that if I held my thumb down on the throttle a bit while on full choke, it would finally take off. Had to let it warm up a bit on choke though, so I'm thinking it's a carburation flaw in this model's design? Let me know what you find out.

Well I've tried everything, from new spark plug to starter fluid. The gas cap I know is open. I bought 3 gallons of premium amico gas and put one bottle of valvoline 2 cycle oil in that matches the specifications, is there anything wrong with my oil/gas mixture? I just think I got a lemon, I'm sending it back monday.

The manual says to mix 5oz of oil to one gallon and 11oz for 2 gallons. I mixed almost three gallons of gas with 16oz of oil, so I can't be that far off. Has anyone used valvoline 2 cycle oil for there auger? What oil is most used in augers?

Good news, I just went out to try it again and she started on the 3 pull and now its starting on the second pull. I noticed that some gas was coming out of the exhaust the first and second time around so it must have been flooded pretty bad. But I still can't figure out why I couldn't get any reaction yesterday what so ever. Is my gas and oil mix ok. 16 oz of valvoline 2 cycle oil and 2 1/2 gallons of amaco premium gas?

I'm no expert but it sounds like your mix @ 16 oz. and 2.5 gal. gas is too rich, I use Jiffy 2 cycle oil. 1 bottle 5.33 oz. per 1 gallon gas. Jiffy recommends 24/1 mix ratio and I have never had any problems. Oh by the way is that Valvoline oil your using 2 cycle oil . Sounds like you need to drain the auger and start over with a 24/1 mix ratio and your problems will be fixed. Good luck...

Actually I should have been more specific, it was 2.8 gallons of gas and it is 2 cycle oil. I wanted it to be a little rich just because it brand new, but that should be about right.

Your still too rich by almost 1.5 oz. oil. That seems to much for me even though it is brand new. I would reconsider your ratio. Is the fuel brand new or could you of possibly used older fuel I made that mistake last season and my Jiffy wouldn't start for nothing until I drained it and made a new very accurate mix, now she starts on first pull every time again. Are you using the choke as recommended wide open at start for 30 seconds then half until warmed up then off when ready to cut holes. I'm just throwing ideas at you so I'm sorry if some of these suggestions sound stupid, but I've witnessed some of these common mistakes before.... Good luck... at least we have eliminated the no spark issue. grin.gif

Well you maybe right, but I've heard from many people that for the first couple of gas tanks and keep in mind that its brand new, to mix it a little on the rich side so that the engine seats easier. Another 1oz or so of oil shouldn't effect the way it runs one way or the other. Besides its now running like a champ so I'm happy about that.

I am on my second jiffy stealth this year. the 1st one took quite a bit of pulling to get it started, then found out the auger would't turn. someone didn't put a key or pin in one of the gears in the gearbox. took it back and got a new one. Took about 10 pulls to start, and killed after drilling each hole. Then took about 10 more pulls each time to restart. Had my brother (mechanic) look at and adjust the 2 red plastic adjustment screws. Runs quite a bit better but still wants to kill on idle. But now only takes 1 or 2 pulls to restart. I love how the auger cuts (pulls itself right through the ice), but gets kind of frustrating restarting all the time. Hopefully it will get better with use. Just my 2 cents, but seems like they could do a better job of Adjusting and checking over at the plant. I have a coworker with same model and he is having the same problem.

I am on my second jiffy stealth this year. the 1st one took quite a bit of pulling to get it started, then found out the auger would't turn. someone didn't put a key or pin in one of the gears in the gearbox. took it back and got a new one. Took about 10 pulls to start, and killed after drilling each hole. Then took about 10 more pulls each time to restart. Had my brother (mechanic) look at and adjust the 2 red plastic adjustment screws. Runs quite a bit better but still wants to kill on idle. But now only takes 1 or 2 pulls to restart. I love how the auger cuts (pulls itself right through the ice), but gets kind of frustrating restarting all the time. Hopefully it will get better with use. Just my 2 cents, but seems like they could do a better job of Adjusting and checking over at the plant. I have a coworker with same model and he is having the same problem.

Mixing your oil a little rich is fine,
I do it all the time in my 10 year old Strikemaster magnum 3. here is my starting procedure, it may work for you.
full choke/full throttle
pull till it fires but does'nt start
usually takes 3 pulls
hold about 1/2 throttle and it should start on the next pull---adjust the choke as the
engine warms up.
I use strikemaster of jiffy smokeless oil

seeyainthewoods bowhunter

Dump it and get the right oil ratio mixed correctly, if its mixed that rich it won't run . I would recommend using Amsoil 100:1 synthetic oil instead, for better starting. As for the vent cap theory? I have punched 10 holes and mine still ran great and I didnt open it at all.
I wouldn't recommend using high octane fuel as it can melt that little piston real easy, good fresh regular is more than fine.

Go StrikeMaster

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

I used to have a problem starting my jiffy also, I would turn the choke on and tried to start it and it seemed like it would get flooded. A buddy of my told me not to use the choke and just prime it 5 or 6 times and start it. Ever since then it starts up on the second or third pull.