• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Empire direct vent heaters

trophyhunter

Question

I have a new fish house with a 15,000 btu empire direct vent heater. I find that it is rather hard to light. I can not get the ignighter to light it and a lot of times when I use a lighter, it blows the lighter out when I put it in the heater. Anyone else have this problem? Also my house is a 6.5 X 16 and seems to take a long time to warm up. Is this normal?

11 answers to this question

15,000 in a house that size would take a while to warm up, but I would also say you have it sized properly. I bet once it's warm it heats very even, correct? Keep in mind, a buddy heater on high is 9000, so you haven't got much more.

If the pilot lights you may be switching to heat to quickly, let the thermocouple warm up first. The thermocouple proves there is a pilot before the gas valve can go open. When you release the hold down button for the pilot there is sufficient gas to run the pilot a little while without holding down

I have a problem with my lighter going out when I stick it in the heater to light the pilot. Once I get the lighter to stay lit in the heater I have no problem. The lighter works fine outside the heater. Is there wind or a draft inside the heater? Anyone else have this problem?

trophyhunter I have the same heater in my retractable also before I even attempt to light the heater I run the stove first to get the gas flowing and I still have to depress the pilot on the gas valve for 2 minutes before it will ignite as far as heating the house up after the heater ignites you have to remember every thing in that house is at ambient temperature so you are not only heating up the air in the house but every thing located inside and that is why it takes so long for the house to feel warm I leave my heater going in my house all the time I just set my temp down to 55 and leave it there

I have also found that if the door is open, it will blow out the flame on the lighter that you are using to light the pilot light. Close the door and that should take care of your problems with the flame on the lighter going out.

when you open that little door to stick your lighter in..your causing a draft..pulling the outside air in thru the heat exchanger and out the door you opened..thus blowing out your lighter...you could try hanging something over the vent while your liteing the pilot... most of those heaters have the piezo ignitor to lite the pilot so you dont have to open it up..if it doesnt wrk may be worth some tinkering to get it working..saves alot of hassle

You should try the ignitor and see if your actually getting a spark on the pilot hood..it could be that the ignitor isnt positioned correctly,, they can be pretty fussy..if its off just a little the pilot wont lite....it also is a good idea to purge the pilot line out before you even try to lite it with the ignitor, if its been off awhile there will be a fair amount of air in the line

I had the same heater in my 8x16 on Mille Lacs, until it gave up the ghost. I could never get the piezo electric to work either. I would put a bucket over the vent outside, then light the pilot with a wooden match. Once the pilot was lit, close the little door wherre you light the pilot, take the bucket off of the vent and turn it to on. It took longer to get the shack completely warmed up, but was plenty of btu's even at 20 below. Of course it depends on insulation, how tight your shack is, etc.