• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Monday outing

WxGuy

I got out for a couple hours this morning...had to scratch the itch after the holiday weekend.

It was a good outing, a few good sized browns and a couple brookies. I was fishing an orange scud (size 12) with a caddis larvae trailer (size 16). For the first time this year, the scud didn't produce too well. The caddis larvae was a hit, as it should be this time of year.

5_9brown1.jpg

Glad you had a good outing. There are still lots of caddis larvae if you turn over the rocks and take a peek (plus caddis larvae and emergers are a cinch to tie). There's no question that there should be some decent caddis over the next ten days, then we're off to the Light Hendricksons...can't wait!

I turned over a few rocks in different locations along the stream Monday. It raised a question as to where certain insects thrive in relation to the location in-stream. I turned over one weedy rock in a couple feet of slower water, and there was an abundance of scuds, a couple nymphs (not sure what kind), and no caddis. Under rocks in shallower, faster riffles I only found a few caddis casings but a lot of baetis nymphs. Are caddis more prevalent just downstream of the faster water? I guess that's one place I didn't turn over any rocks...

Nice work, wxguy. Great photo, too!

Caddis usually dwell in the fast water, to my knowledge. However, I have seen the vegetative caddis pupae (I only know Trout-Latin) coating sticks in deep runs.

The Lanesboro DNR guys at Trout Day said that they are finding less aquatic insects and less trout this year due to a couple of extreme runoff situations.

Were there any caddis flying around?

Only one or two caddis flying around, but I was off the stream by 11am. I work 2-11pm, so weekday mornings when the kiddo is in daycare are when I usually get out...and miss some good hatches.

Are you heading down here this weekend, tie flyer?

The hatches for caddis typically have very good action in the riffles, at least this is where there are fish holding picking up emergers, they alsorise in the flat water, but I think this is more to dry flies that are already hatched.

As for the whole fewer trout, fewer bugs thing, that may be true on some streams that have gotten hit hard with run off (typically areas with agricultural issues and larger watersheds). I can think of a few that have not fished that well this year; however, there are also a few that I have had excellent dry fly action on, as well as witnessed tons of bugs after turning over rocks. I think a lot of this is dependent upon where you are.

Fly Angler, I agree. Even the streams that got hit hard will come back, probably with fewer (but larger) trout in the short term. I was glad that the DNR emphasized responsible watershed management. From the road you can see that the terraced fields with unplowed valleys held up fine while others had two or three foot ditches carved out. Still, in two trips (one winter and one spring) this year I have had some excellent fishing, including caddis dries and the rare winter rising trout.

Wxguy, I am coming down Saturday night after dark and fishing Sunday and Monday. Now I wish I had Tuesday off, too. Want to go fishing? Shoot me an email: erichjonsylvester at hotmail dot com.

I too got out for a couple of hours on Monday. It was beautiful on the water, and just before sundown the fish started really snapping! We managed to land 16 'bows, most of the fish were caught on an orange bead head hare's ear nymph. Some decent topwater action was also had but not as productive. Nothing too big, but fun anyway!!

croixbow0ls.jpg