• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike and Muskie gear...

travwinkleman

A 6500C3 Abu Garcia bait casting reel with a medium heavy IM8 rod that is 6.5' to 7'. Spool the reel with 30 to 50 pound test Power Pro or Stren Super braid. A couple of alternative reels would be the 6500C4 (faster retrieve ratio) or a Gander Mountain GS66. Should be about $130 or so with line.

Thanks for the help guys. Also what would ya suggest for a good bass setup? I figure 7 foot medium action rod. I was looking at the Pfluger President 9 bearing reel. Is there much difference really from 9 bearings to 4-5 bearings? Also whats a good line to spool up fer bass? I mainly texas rig. Cant wait, less then a week away. Been waiting for this weekend all winter.

trav- scroll down to the FISH BY SPECIES forum and you shall find most anything thing you need about a specific fish. Then scroll back through past threads as your question may already be answered.

Good luck.....

WAG

A good reel choice with the President. I have that reel on a medium heavy rod also. A 10 or 14 pound test Fireline is what I run. Take a look at a Shimano Curado200B. Both will do a great job for you.

Travwinkleman, remember the opener dates for the different species.

Walleye & northern - May 14

Bass - May 28

Muskie - June 4

I wish they all opened up this weekend. Unfortuantely us bass and musky anglers have to continue waiting for a couple of weeks. I can officially call myself a "musky angler" now that I finally have the right gear to fish for them. grin.gif