• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Heater

Mr. Pike1

Question

I recently purchased a new Mr. Heater head for my propane take, as the old one just was not putting out the heat any more. My question is each time I spark it up I hear a whistling for about 2-3 seconds and then all is fine. I have been using the tank for a few years so I am comfortable the tank is good. Any idea's on possible cause. Should I just return it and get another..

6 answers to this question

You have 2 air mix holes in the tube. Look close and you'll see the orifice for the propane. The propane blowing past the air mixture hole is acting like a whistle. When you lite the heater is starts to draw air and stops whistling. Its at this whistling time your heater could ignite at this air mix area. What ever you do don't panic, simply shut off the valve at the tank. This may sound unacceptable to you but that is one of the hazards of any propane heater. They are not fool proof.
Be safe and light all portable propane stoves and heaters outdoors.

Surfice Tension, so you are saying this is a common issue with a brand new Mr. Heater head. I have never heard this noise on my prior heater head and do not recall hearing this when I have been with others in their house when they lite up the heater. I have never been a big fan of the propane heater to begin with.

Surface tension, Yes I get a bright orange glow on all settings and it kicks out the heat. The whistle only last a second. But it causes me jump each time I lite it up.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 01-06-2004).]

Somewhat on the same subject, I purchased a new Mr. Heater that mounts to the tank to use as an alternate to my heater/cooker when I want more floor space. It worked great the first couple of times but now it has flames coming above the top of the shield about 2 inches. Not sure if something is out of adjustment, loose, etc. Lights fine and the screen glows, but FLAMES MAKE ME NERVOUS!!!!! It did get twisted around on the tank after one trip. Any help would be appreciated.

Dean Thorn

Couple things with the flames. Could be your orifice is dirty. Take a wire about the same size as a bread twister and stick it the orifice and work it around a little. I described were it is in my earlier post. You can access it through the air mix hole.
Having it spin around could have moved it enough that it could effect the air mix, try and get it back to were it was and use the knurled lock collar to snug it up.
An other reason for the flames could be a dirty screen on the flower its self. Could be from rust, dust or road dirt. I've seen many of those sunflowers in the back of a truck going down the highway. Cover that sunflower up with an old pillow case to keep it clean.