• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best portable in wind?

Big Dave2

Question

I have a fish trap guide and I love it. It is nice and light and easy to pull out by hand and it fits all my gear.
The only problem I have is in windy conditions. Friday I was out on Minnewaska and I dont know what the wind gusts were but they were pretty strong. My fishtrap was flapping around and making all kinds of noises. It sounded like it was going to tear in half, and I couldn't keep the front end down unless I kept my feet up on the bottom poles.
My question is: Are all of these pullover type shelters the same in this regard? Is there a brand that is better in the wind? I am thinking that maybe the otters because of thier weight would be a little better, but then are they too heavy to pull out by hand?
One last question: Are the 3 man units better in the windy conditions(because of the added weight)or are they worse(because they are higher profile). I really like my Guide but I would switch if there were a shelter that could do it all.
Thanks,
Dave

8 answers to this question

Bump this - I'm looking for help on this as well. Any suggestions from others who've had the same problem with the Fishtrap Guide to stop the lid from lifting up and flapping in heavy winds?

Is this the older guide without door?
Ed Carlson suggested stitching a chain along the cuff of a door less flip over shack like the old guide to seal it in the wind.
Most all the newer flip over shacks have the spreader poles that will keep your shack from flapping in the wind. They also have doors so you can bank snow along the snow cuff. I got some sand tubes from Soderboom Manufacturing that are the cats meow for holding down the snow cuff and sealing out the wind.

I ran the fish traps for years. My last was the Guide. I tried everything, including 2x2's abound the base. To be honest nothing worked. I don't think the Fish Traps are made to fish in a lot of wind, unless there is a lot of snow on the ice and you can "dig in".

I now use the Polar Sport, 3-man and wind is not an issue. It has wind skirting around the inside of the sled and the poles sit tight to the ice. This is the first flip top portable that I have been in where wind did not come in. In fact, we were in it yesterday on Mille Lacs and I can't imagine what the wind chill was but the buddy heater kept us warm and the holes open.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

As for ice spikes, don't bother with the eye bolt type they sell for ice fishing. Spend a few bucks and get real ice screws made for ice climbers (Smiley or Black Diamond). These things are slick, and go straight down into the ice with little effort. Plus they are one of the neatest gadgets ever invented.

As S.T. stated Soderbloom Inc. sells sand tube anchors that rest on your apron and hold your house down real snug. We used them at our Poutfest Sat. and they worked awesome! No freezing in and work great when theres no snow. www.soderbloom.com ask for Jay. He can send out empty anchors in the mail or if your around Duluth/Superior get a hold of me and Ill get ya some. [email protected] . 3 6' are all ya need for a flip style house.

I have the Otter Cabin and have had it on Ottertail on some very windy days as well, one being yesterday afternoon. Couldn't be happier with the way it handled the wind. Sure you get some noise from the canvas moving, but had absolutely no trouble keeping it on the ice. Wasn't at all concerned that the house was going to "take off" on me. I believe the house weighs something like 85lbs. whithout any gear in the sled, and it is manageable to pull by hand, but may be kind of tough on glare ice.

------------------
fish smarter, not harder