• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Kits

Lunker

Question

Has anyone ever made their own rods by going out and getting the supplies and/or using the kits? It sounds interesting, and i always like to catch stuff on my own creations... Are they dufficult, and are the finished products good if you do it right?

1 answer to this question

I make my own rods, not from kits tho. I select the components I want on the rod considering what I am gonna use that particular rod for. If you take your time they come out better than most any rod you can buy off the shelf. That and you can select exactly what you want for guides handle etc to fit the use of the rod you plan to make.

It is fun and rewarding to make your own rods. I make my graphite ice rods from fly rod tip sections that are 2nds and I don't think the cost me $10, and they are very sensitive.

You can order ktis from cabelas or there is a place in Marine on the St.Croix called Wild River Distributing that sells rod building supplies and he is very reasonable.

Here is a link to site that has some rod building info.
http://www.mudhole.com/docs/r101.html

Enjoy, it is a fun hobby.