• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cut-throat trout below sakakawea dam?

I heard there are some sizeable cut-throat trout below the sakakawea dam that could be caught on the fly-anyone ever try it or have any info? Wondering when the best time to go would be? thanks in advance.

redhooks

Have you seen the picture of the new state record trout? 31 lbs I believe. Most people get the big ones real early or real late when I have been there. I see people fishing it around Xmas time.

hey Blake- i did a search and found a pic of that brown and all I can say is UFF-DA! 35" and 31 lbs that thing is faaat. Anyway I think it said it was caught at Garrison,is that below sakawea? Otherwise I'm still looking for some info on teh cutthrout below sak? Thanks-

redhooks

I am originally from ND, Garrison is below Lake Sakakawea. It is in the Garrison (Contact US Regarding This Word) tailrace that all of the big trout are caught. I know there are lots of 8-9 lb cuts that are caught every year. The state record is a little over ten. I am not sure about fly fishing for them though. I am a flyfisher myself but never pursued trout in the tailrace. Lake Sakakawea is a very interesting fishery. It can be very very good but it can also be quite bad since the water levels fluctuate so bad. I pretty much grew up on that lake and experienced the lake in its prime(about 7 years ago). I caught a lot of 22"+ smallies flyfishing, as well as monster pike. There is also a very good Chinook salmon fishery there, I was fortunate to tangle with one while walleye fishing. Sorry for rambling, Dan.