• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater cameras

czl99

Question

I have been looking at underwater cameras and i have decided that i want to buy either a Marcum vs305 for $250 or a aqua-vu Z series for $300. If anybody could give me some pointers on which one to buy or another model in the same price range to buy that would be great.

3 answers to this question

I have the OVS system I bought last year. I have to say I wish I would have saved my money. The camera is a fine unit. Thats not my reason for saying I'd wish'd I'd saved my money. The reason is, the water I fish more often then not is stained water. Tea colored.
In bright sun lite it is possible to see a few fish.
On Minnetonka last winter one day, the water was clear enough to see the perch toying with my jig.
The lake I am on up north is not clear enough to make practicle use of a camera.
I will try it again this weekend as I am heading to lake near Glennwood where the clarity is said to be 10 feet.
Also, unless you have somthing to look at. such as fish or the bottom of the lake. it's is like looking at the sky. you see nothing unless you see a plane fly by.
Anyways, the OVS is a fine unit.
CT

I have the OVS for two years and have had no problems with it at all (I did drop the cable holder down the hole once). The cameras uses are limited, when fishing the cable is always in the way but for finding structure, bottom types and lost goodies they can’t be beat. If I had to choose between a camera or a good flasher, I would take the flasher any day. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by outsider (edited 01-01-2004).]

I have had an FL-18 and sold, not impressed. I can see the uses if you are unfamiliar with the area but if you know where the fish are a camera makes it way more exciting. I saw a guy fishing with one the other day and thought it was great. Our water up in Saskatchewan is clear so you can see at least 10 feet in any direction. I was amazed to see so many walleye. I would get the Aqua-vu they seem to be the best for your money.
Cheers!!