• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakeside campsites

Coach

I am looking for any and all campsites for campers (I have a 5th wheel) that are right on the lake. It could be state or private campgrounds and I would rather have a electric site but it is more important that it is lakeside. Thanks for any ideas.

Bemidji State Park is right on the lake. There's a protected area where you can park your boats. I've left mine there for a week without problems. Another is Scenic State Park, about 35 miles north of Grand Rapids. All the electric sites there are pull-through. They also have a dock for boat parking.

I can think of others. Do you have a specific location you'd like to try?

These are all private campgrounds were you are able to tie up your boat within 30' of your camper or tent. The bad news is that I cant remember the names of these campgrounds but I'm sure with a little research you could find out the names.

1. Ten Mile Lake south of Walker. Its in the bay on the west side of lake.

2. Cass Lake. Nice campground with boat harbors that you camp next too. Not a lot of big trees for shade though.

3. Lake Belle Taine by Nevis. Very nice. Its on an island that has a bridge to get there. Sandy shoreline. Large mature trees. remote sites.

Maybe some of the fellow FM'rs know the names of these places.

Nels

Many state parks on larger lakes have boats and motors that you can rent for full or half days. You can bring your own motor. Can't recall for sure, but a boat may be $35 for a day. Itasca has pontoons. Pets are allowed but you're required to keep them leashed and clean up if necessary.

Here's a link to the state parks:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/list_alpha.html

I was at the campground on Belle Taine in 2000, it is on an island and the lake has been rising into the campground, enough that you had to drive through water to get out to the campground, and the campsites were flooding, the owner told me that this has been going on for years. They never had a phone nor a HSOforum, we had to write them a letter. Does anybody have and update on this place? We liked it alot and it seemed like they had alot of return campers.

Isn't that place on Belle Taine called Campers Paridise? I always got their info from the Camp/Resort locator that I would pick up from the Sports show. That is a very clean lake, nice campground. It's been about 5 years since I've been there so I can't comment on the condition.

might want to check out sun valley resort on Mill lake. 10 miles west of Alex. The place changed last year, but we were alway 20 feet away from the water. don't know what they have available anymore. They had to get rid of the lake front sites, and they were selling leases to the seasonal sites. Fishing was always good, swimming pool, tennis courts and mini golf.

Melon is right, the name of the resort is Camper's Paradise. Does anyone know what is happing at the resort? It looks like Belle Taine is still rising and like I said in a earlier post that when I was there in 2000 some of the sites were flooding, it is a cool place and I hope it is still open.

I will 2nd Sun Valley on Mill Lake near Alex. We haven't been there for a while but we always stayed about 15' from the waters edge and it was great. Lake had great fishing and the pool for the kids so evrybody seemed happy. If we camp I either want to be in the shade of lots of trees or right on the water or you don't feel like you are camping.

I have gone to several that were recomended in this old post and I am always looking for a few more. Most were a great time but now that my two kids are going to college (YES), my wife and I have a few more weekends open for camping. If anyone else has any suggestions for campsites next to the water besides the ones that have been mentioned already, I am willing to check them out. Thanks for any ideas.

Once again I would like to get anyones suggestions on lakeside campgrounds. The suggestions I got from the post above have been great and I have enjoyed several of them, but I am always looking for more. Thanks for any ideas.

McCarthy Beach st Park was nice, and within 25 yards of the water. Several connecting lakes.

There's also another smaller lake about 5 minutes north of McCarthy beach with some rustic sites right on the water.

I've camped at Greer Lake campground east of Cross lake and north of Mille Lacs, it's first come camping, no reservations... but you can camp right on the beach, $12 a night I think.

A couple of the campsites on Father Hennepin are within 50 yards of the lake. (mille Lacs)

Camp at Big Bog state park, last week of May or first week of june, rather boring/wide open camping, but you can't beat the early open water season on Upper Red Lake.... and it's right on the tamarac river, which gives you access to URL.

I like the regional park between Afton and Prescott, Daytons Bluff regional park I think it's called. NO dogs though. But it's right on the St.Croix, and a very nice boat launch... protected harbor.

Originally Posted By: Coach
Once again I would like to get anyones suggestions on lakeside campgrounds. The suggestions I got from the post above have been great and I have enjoyed several of them, but I am always looking for more. Thanks for any ideas.
Coach do a search of Kandyohi county Parks,There are 7 on 5? different lakes all a less than 100 mile drive from Eagan,Most are productive fishing ans easy going camp sites with all amenities.

we camp at many of the national forest campgrounds that have lakeside sites. they are more rustic, but some have some very pretty sites right on the water. tie your boat up right next to your camp etc.

here are a few :

bear lake, bass lake, beatrice lake, thistledew lake ( all north of nashwauk )only a few sites for 5th wheels.

cut foot sioux lake ( 5 different campgrouds, all with at least a few lake sites ). cut foot connects to winnie, which is great for avid fishermen. one of them had a quite a few for 5th wheel types.

cass lake-- norway beach and south pike bay. These are more developed with paved loops, showers, bike trail. some of the loops have a few lake sites, some don't. a quite a few long sites for larger rvs.

lake winnibigoshish-- west winnie. several nice large lake sites.

there are many more state wide. just look for the little tee pees on a good state map and go exploring !

We've been at McKinley Park Campgrounds on Lake Vermillion the past two years with a large family group. It's a county park with a nice variety of sites - from walk-in tent sites to electric spots that are rented by the season. Good fishing, obviously!

I have reserved a week at Kandiyohi County Parks #3 on Diamond Lake (July) and Floding Resort, west of Alexandria on Lake Brophy (August). I will give out reviews to each when I get back. I have never fished either of the these lakes, any help would be great, thanks.