• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Basics to start making my own lures

mouse

Question

I'd like to start making some of my own lures. I'm mostly thinking about muskie lures- what do I need to get started? Any books or videos that might be particularly helpful? How about completely necessary tools or equipment?
Scoot

5 answers to this question

Are you referring to tied (bucktail/spinnerbait) lures, or plugs(jerkbaits, cranks)?

I'm assuming your referring to bucktails.. or tied lures, and spinner bodies.

You will need a quality vice as stated in an earlier post... you will not be happy with the performance of a cheap vice, nor will it last long trying to grasp 7/0 hooks. Another option that works very well is to make a base, or take the base from another vise (clamp style, or tabletop) and have a pair of vice grips welded to the top. This will hold well, but will not rotate.. but is much cheaper.

A good bobbin is priceless.. something that will not tear up your thread.

Thread.. go to an industrial sewing shop and ask for the largest diameter braided thread they have that will not rot... it will cost you $50 a spool.. but it will keep you supplied for 30 years, and beats paying $2/50' spool at the fly shop.

Wire .. for musky bucktails, do not go smaller than .051 wire. This can be formed with a good quality pair of wire bending pliers with some effort, or, spend the $100 and get a Boggs tacklemaker(or similar product) and that will greatly assist you in making all kinds of wire bodies and forms... not to mention save on pain and frustration.

Blades, Lure Bodies, clevises, Hooks, etc... Get in touch with Stamina Tackle and they have a great line of excellent components, lure building equipment, etc. Look up Stamina Inc on a search engine.. or try dot com.

If you have any other direct questions, feel free to email me directly. If your really serious about getting into this, I may be able to give you good deal on some equipment and supplies that I no longer use.

[email protected]

I'd like to start making some of my own lures. I'm mostly thinking about muskie lures- what do I need to get started? Any books or videos that might be particularly helpful? How about completely necessary tools or equipment?
Scoot

Thanks guys. That about covers it for bucktails. How about plugs, as Fisher Dave mentioned? What do I need for them? Also, what types of lures lend themselves well to homemade creation? I'd imagine a Jackpot style lure to be relatively easy, but I'm not a huge fan of this style lure. What else isn't too tough for a fella who's got no skills or savvy with his hands?
Scoot

Scoot,
I have been making and modifying lures for years. I make lures that are similar to; Suicks, Jackpots, Jakes and ReefHawgs. And I will make 'adjustments' to almost every lure out there.

As far as what you will need; Dremel tool is a must. Jig saw, Router, carving hand tools and lots of sand paper. Get eye scews that are at least 1" if not the 1 1/2" depending on how big the lure is. Go with the ones that are .093 or .154 in diameter, good heavy split rings and some flex-coat or enviro-teks (sp?) for your top coats. As far as painting goes -- I don't make pretty lures! I use spray cans and little brushes to add detail -- nothing that compares to Hughes River, but I still catch plenty of fish. You will also want to get some lead or other material to weight your wooden lures, you will be amazed how much weight a piece of wood can support.

Good Luck with your project -- if you have any questions ([email protected])

Steve