• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On Old Secret to Make an Old Lure Better

jackfish

I've been modifying bait for years. Some of my idea work great some are Frankenlures. One that has always worked well for me and it really catches bass is a modified #13 floating Rapala. I never liked how difficult they were to cast, how shallow they dived and that they had to move along to fast to keep them down. The hooks are terrible. But the design is awesome. They have always look like a baitfish. They just didn't act like one. I drill small holes just behind the front hook hanger. Fill the holes with lead so the bait is heavier, dive deeper but keep the great side to side dance they do. I epoxy over the holes/lead let dry and sand them smooth. I update the hooks with larger #4 Triple Grips , also heavier. I also drill a small hole along the back of the bait and insert a small rattle chamber. It works great. Try it.

Jackfish

Yeah they take time but often it's worth it. Fish eat them up and nobody else is throwing them! One other hint. Often tackle shop bargain bins are full of Original Rapalas or Rapala Huskies. I've picked many of them up for under $1.00 each and modified them to work as well as the $10+ dollar versions.