• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Paulin Brand Heater Question

Dobber

Question

I got this heater for Christmas and followed the directions EXACTLY but I still can't get it to light. The directions say "Open propane tank valve". Then "Turn regulator knob to HI position". Then "While holding a lit match at the hole in the screen of the heater, depress the plunger on the safety shutoff. After heater surface is lit, continue to hold the plunger in for about 30 seconds. Then release the plunger."
I've held the match on the screen hole long enough to smell propane but it still doesn't lite. Any ideas on how I can get this bugger lit? Will it just glow red when it is lit or will I see some sort of flame?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dobber

6 answers to this question

try holding the match towars the bottom of the screen. a small pilot light will be visible when the plunger is in, it heats the small rod next to it. when it detects the heat ( the rod) it will allow the gas to flow to the screen when the plunger is released. you should hear the 'roar' of gas burning and soon see the screen glow red. if the small rod does not detect the heat the pilot will go out when the plunger is released. its possible the rod needs to be adjusted closer to the flame, moved in shipping. check the tubing connection, from the rod, in to the main housing. if loose, will not allow full lite.

[This message has been edited by pj4 (edited 12-29-2003).]

I had the same problem when I took mine out of storage this winter. The problem was the rod was bent back away from the screen and it would not stay on once I released the plunger thingy. I bent the rod in towards the screen and ...presto...it was fixed. Good luck.

I think I have the same exact heater your talking about. I have a problem with mine when using 1lb. tanks. It takes a long time for my screen to get hot and change to red and heat by itself. This only happens with new 1lb tanks. I have to hold the safety switch in for about 3 minutes before it gets hot enough to work on its own.

I have had similiar issues with my Paulin 3500 Heater / Cooker, especially when the 1 lb tanks are REALLY cold. I always get mine going by turning the knob to High, light it near the heating element, and keep the button depressed for about 20 seconds, let go of the button and make sure it stays red. When it is really cold and the 1 lb. tanks get "frozen" lighting it can take some effort.

i've had my heater and cooker for several years and i always gotta light it like 92python torches his up, when using cold 1 lb'ers. it's not what the book says, but it works. i've even had to tilt the unit a little to get it to "hold" until the thermocouple got hot enough to keep the main valve open. some times the flame rolls around a little, but it always lights. mine gets bounced around the sled, and its been bent up a few times. i have a coleman black cat that i use when its in the warmer temps. it lights crappy at times too. its catalytic and don't fume ya out. i use an otter magnum and the black cats ok sometimes. it's only like 4000BTU's. you can set the 1 lb. lp tank from the black cat in the coleman lp lantern base and cook on it too. but not as good as the paulin heater. later, keebo