• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Entering Canada with DWI on record?

Have 6 guys traveling into Canada this June for a fishing trip. Two of the guys have DWI's on their driving record.

Both were more then 15 years ago. Can we expect any trouble at the border?

I have been told if the offenses were more then 10 years old

the offenders have been "rehabilitated" and should have no

problems.

Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

As sugguested PHONE ahead of time and do NOT lie at the border. I spoke to an Immigration officer last week about this and he sugguested the only time they would turn somebody back is if they lied especially if the DWI is over 10 yrs. BUT do not lie.

I went through this exact thing last fall. We went to the border and they asked us all to step inside where we each individually walked to to an officer (and mine was a female). She asked us for our licenses and asked if we had any felonies or any other charges. I said no, just like the rest of my group (but I did have a DWI 20 years ago). After she asked us all the same questions, she did a run on our licenses and came back and called out for me. I went up to her and she asked if I mis understood any of her previous questions and i said no. She ripped me a new one! She wanted to know why she found my DWI and I told her that I was under the impression that they only cared about the last 10 years. She kept rippin! She said i didn't respect them Canadians and so on ... She finally said the ONLY reason i am letting you in is because you have 5 other people waiting for you so I said C-U bye! and we were gahndi! If you have a DWI, call the border and they will fax you some paper work. I don't know the process after that but the best bet is to be honest. Another recommendation is that if you have had a RECENT DWI, stay home and save your group some hassels. This is "fact" and it just happened last fall.

So Jed, what are you going to do this year when we go up to Canada again? Are you going to get the paperwork or just when they ask about your 20 year old DWI just admit to it? Lucky you had 5 good looking, law abiding guys with you and the nice lady border patrol let you go with us. If it was up to me you still would be sitting at the border.

Listen to me pegleg... The "only" reason she let me in was because of MY good looks! She didn't want to let you bunch of scrownges in without at least one good looking American with them. The locals would have tore you guys up because you would have looked like an easy target! I will do the paper work this year for sure. I think I better get good at that part.