• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

House Manufacturer shortcuts

Ronsay

Question

I purchased my 16' house at the end of last years fishing season. I have used the house 4 times since it was new and have found problems each time.

After the first trip I had the furnace replaced with an 18.000 btu, at the same time they redid the insulation as it was not installed properly, and also house wrapped it. They did all this for $150.

After trip number 2 I had to put venting in the furnace, and stove cabinet as the furnace was not getting enough air from outside for the blower to operate properly.

Trip number 3 my Daughter stated that there was moisture in the storage areas under the dinette seats, I installed 2 vents in each storage area.

Trip number 4 saw the edge of my dinette table colapse when 2 of my Grandsons jumped into bed for the night, upon further inspection the only part of the table that was being used to support the wieght was about a 5/8" piece of wood molding on each end that was held in by only a few staples. I contersunk screws with wood glue underneath for the moldings, and extended the base for the table to lay on by over an inch on each side.

This is the first house I have owned so I was inexperienced at what to look for in the construction end. I did get a good buy so I have repaired all the minor items myself.

I would recommend that anyone looking at houses to check for proper venting in closed off areas, and that the dinette converts to a bed properly, with sufficient overhang on each end of the table where it lays on the base.

Some other things that I added were side boards on the top bunk, and a rope ladder with tightners on it for adjusting, and snaps to unhook it. Works great for the Grandkids.

Cant wait till my next trip.

Ron

2 answers to this question

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Go to:
http://RoadKingOutdoors.com go to the Premier page and check out the what to look for and avoid page.

Better yet, check out the Road King and avoid these problems altogether with a house that has

Quality added for FREE from Road king Outdoors. smile.gif

Hi Rick,

I checked out the site and I must say the pictures of the Road King Premier put my house to shame.

I purchased mine at a end of the season close out price in the cities and got it for about half of what the Road King sells for.

It's very comfortable to fish out of, I just need to iron out the bugs in it. Theres great circulation now, after I put the extra venting in, I think the vents were less than $3.00 ea, so it's not costing me alot of money to remedy the problems.

The dinette reminds me of the old pickup camper style tables that made into a bed with the 4 cushions laid on top of the table, I think I have that problem solved.

The manufacturer I purchased from produced over 600 houses last season and at one point fell way behind the orders, they were confined in the facilities they had and could not expand. I believe they made shortcuts and mistakes in trying to push out the houses they were behind in, they did stand behind the insulation and the furnace replacement and house wrapped it for $150.00. This year they moved to a bigger facility.

Tomorrow I am taking it on another trip and am hoping that the bugs are ironed out.

If I ever sell mine I will definately take a look at the Road King.

Ron