• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Airating minnows in frig....

fishingguy

Question

6 answers to this question

If you have a cool place like a basement wall or pantry, that is all you need. You can skip the whole fridge thing and save the hassle.

Frabill has a couple very good 110 and 12V aeration systems out. One will adapt to both so that is twice as handy.
1421aeratorgroup.jpg
The new Micro Bubble stones does a bang up job with less power consumption. I keep bait for weeks in my Min-O-Life Bait Station
in the pantry with no problem at all. Once you combine the two systems you have a great home and field bait storage system.
minolife1404.jpg

You can check out the whole line of Frabill bait containment and bait handling systems at this link.

www.Frabill.com

FRABILL.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Ed Carlson (edited 12-27-2003).]

ok this might seen simple but if you have city water you have chlorine in the water. a day before you change water fill a bucket and just let it sit over night and change it the next day. also if possible put the water in the frig so the new water and old water is the same temp. I grew up with a well and had the same problem and took a few times of dead minnows on leaches to catch on.

Minnsota Mac.. Some areas are now treatng the water with a new type of cholrine called chloramine. The chloramine does not evaporate. It can be treated with drops from a pet store.

[This message has been edited by Justfishing (edited 12-30-2003).]

I've always been told that you can't use tap water on your minnows but I just sit the 5 gallon pail (painted black on inside to keep the minnows their natural color) under the tap and refresh every couple days. Never have a problem keeping them.

Here is what I do. Use a water filter that you would use to filter drinking water. I have a brita pitcher and filter that I have been using. 1-2 times a week I fill up a 1 gallon container with filtered water and then put it in the garage overnight so I can get the filtered water approximately the same temp as the water the minnows are in. Drain the old water dump the new stuff in. As said earlier, I think city water has too many chemicals in it. If you fill your bucket from the tap your minnows will be dead in less than a week almost garanteed!

This is the best advise I can give...I have had my shiners alive and kicking for almost 4 weeks now.

Take care!

SUNNYD

[This message has been edited by SUNNYD (edited 12-30-2003).]