• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To bring, or not to bring...across the border to Canada

Case of good CDN beer up here runs anywhere from $35-$40/case. Probably still cheaper to pay duty on American beer.

But isn't part of any Canadian fishing trip, having some good Canadian Labatt's Blue? smile.gif

I'm not quite sure how all the specifics work, but we always get cases of LaBatt's at the Duty Free on the US side, pick it up on the bridge at St. Frances, then pay $7/case Duty on the Canadian side (make sure you have exact Canadian amount). I think we paid $20/case plus the $7 on anything over 1 case or bottle per person. As I remember, it was buy 5 cases, get one free. My friend's dad has been going up there for fifty years, so I don't ask why. But, evidently, he's doing it right! You're right Hemlock, it wouldn't feel right to drink Bud up there!

I just came back from canada and I crossed at the pigion river crossing. We pick up a case of labatts for 15 dollars at the duty free station and then you would drive to the border to where they would have a lane set aside so you could pick up your goods. The rule is that to get it duty free you have to be in canada more than 48 hours. I think someone also said that you can only have a case of beer or a bottle per person duty free. We thought we were going to run low on beer so we check on prices and it was about 45 for a case of beer I hope that helps

I just called up to the Pigeon River crossing to ask about the amount of extra gas we could bring along up. They told me we could have the boat and vehicle full + 5 extra gallons. First of all, does this sound right? We are staying for one week. If we decide to bring 15 extra gallons instead of 5, does anybody know what we could end up paying for duty on those extra gallons? The person I talked to could not give me an answer. She told me that there is nothing set in stone with the gas issue. Can anybody help me out? Leaving next Saturday the 21st. Thanks.

First timer heading to Canada. I think I have everything understood except the beer/alcohol rule. If I understand it right, I can bring a case or a liter across. Is this first case duty free?

Second, I don't care what I drink whether it is Busch lite, Bud light or Labatts. I just want to go the cheapest route. there will be 4 of us going together for 8 days. Is it the cheapest then to buy what we need at the duty free store and pay the tax as we cross into Canada?

We are heading up to Kenora middle of August. Any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Just an interesting story. One time when we went up with another guy who had never gone into Canada before, on the way back during the crossing he took some pictures of the American booths. When we got to the booth, as the guy was talking to us he asked if we had taken pictures with the camera (was laying on the dash). We said yes, he asked to see it, and when we gave it to him he erased the pictures. Never even thought about that before!

Hopefully this is an easy question. We are heading up soon and could not find anything on this post that would let us know how many cigars are allowed. I know one carton of cigarettes but what about cigar totals?

Hemlock

Thanks for the quick response. I really do appreciate the info you put out and hopefully we can meet some day. We are going up June 7 and heading for just south of Ear Falls area. I just hope the weather forcast is wrong and next week will be OK. Thanks again.

No problem, it's easy for me to get some answers for you all. With tourism being down, I try and resolve anyone's issue/questions as easily as possible.

Good luck fishing, and if you are ever in Kenora, stop in to my gas station/c-store/bait and tackle shop on the east side of town (Husky)

Well I have read thru this post and noone really had a for sure answer on how much beef you can bring or if you can bring it at all. Thanks for any info.

Well I have read thru this post and noone really had a for sure answer on how much beef you can bring or if you can bring it at all. Thanks for any info.

I was just up there last week and brought a couple of cases of burger patties, some hotdogs, pizzas, and frozen lasagna and chile to last the week. Was never asked at the border about beef. I think there might be some restrictions on beef in dog food, but am not sure.

How much beef were you planning on bringing.

This is cut and pasted from a canadian border service agency site.

The following are some examples of the limits that apply to personal importations of food products from the United States:

2 dozen eggs;

20 kilograms of dairy products not exceeding $20 in value (e.g. cheese and butter);

3 kilograms of margarine or butter substitutes; and

20 kilograms of edible meats and meat products, including turkey and chicken.

Within this limit, more CFIA and ITCan restrictions apply as follows:

a maximum of one whole turkey or 10 kilograms of turkey products;

a maximum of 10 kilograms of chicken; and

a maximum of 5 kilograms of edible meats and meat products from cattle, sheep, goat, bison and buffalo.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html#P018

Just a headzup. We were stopped coming back into the States because of a 1945 Corps of Engineers compass in my tackle bag. It has a FEW SPOTS of RADUIM PAINT on it! They made us pull over, remove the compass, rechecked the vehicle/trailer, then rechecked the compass to be sure the isotope matched the first reading! Unbelievable. I hope the border security folks are this good everywhere.

Interestingly, they asked if anyone had "a recent medical treatment or an old compass" when we first pulled up. So I'm guessing they can detect cancer radiation treatments as well.

Otherwise, crossing was relatively painless. If you drove a long way, find a restroom before you get in line.