• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To bring, or not to bring...across the border to Canada

Totem is drive in, right? Either way, definitely bring your own gear! Don't know that system, but we go through a ton of jigs/rigs, etc when we go. Of course, it's Canada and depending on the time of year, everything you throw at the fish seems to work.

I bring my own boat which doubles as a gear trailer on the way up. You can take one case of beer duty free across. Canadian beer is good stuff, so we bite the bullet and buy that up there as well.

Bait runs us 5-6 bucks a dozen. Check with your lodge, July might be a better month for crawlers and spinners anyway...and you can bring crawlers across as long as they are not packed in dirt.

Ontario is one line per person.

Thanks for the information..  much appreciated.  Sounds like we have guides and boats hired ha..  That'll be different, but always love meeting new people and learning something new.  Maybe, I can share something with em as well.  Ya Totem is drive in.  I will check with the lodge on bait.  Are there any bars on the way up through Sioux narrows.  Don't get me wrong, we are not looking to go on a party fest, but I know some of the guys will want to stop and have a bloody mary and such.  We are confirmed for July 9-13th.  I plan on bringing crawlers.  I really never go fishing without em.  Also plan on bringing my own gear, for I like my own stuff (one can relate).  Looking forward to catching some fish in Canada for the 1st time.  . ...

Don't want to be a Debbie downer, but our laws are very strict for drinking and driving. DUI is a felony here. Not saying the folks driving will be drinking, but two drinks puts you close to .008 pretty quick. Just be aware. The OPP are zero tolerance on drinking and driving. 

If you have extra alcohol they usually ask you what you paid for your alcohol and tax you on the figure you give them as long as it is reasonable, so be sure you know what the alcohol sells for or have a receipt. Be sure you don't report more than you paid unless you want to donate extra to the gov't.

My buddies dad goes to Canada fishing every year with a group of guys.  These are all old retired guys that apparently took up hard drinking once they retired.  What they do when they go to Canada is bring as much booze as they want but keep most of it out of sight.  They intentionally leave a selection in plain page and then declare that selection at the border.  They claim more than the legal amount and then pay some small amount for the overages.  Paying for the overage that they declare is cheaper than buying all of the booze that they bring once in Canada.   Their logic is that by declaring more than the legal amount and willingly pay the overage fees for the items that are in plain sight the border agents are less likely to give the vehicles a good look in order to find the real amount of booze they are hiding.  So far it has worked for the last several years but I figure their luck will run out sooner or later.

My buddies dad goes to Canada fishing every year with a group of guys.  These are all old retired guys that apparently took up hard drinking once they retired.  What they do when they go to Canada is bring as much booze as they want but keep most of it out of sight.  They intentionally leave a selection in plain page and then declare that selection at the border.  They claim more than the legal amount and then pay some small amount for the overages.  Paying for the overage that they declare is cheaper than buying all of the booze that they bring once in Canada.   Their logic is that by declaring more than the legal amount and willingly pay the overage fees for the items that are in plain sight the border agents are less likely to give the vehicles a good look in order to find the real amount of booze they are hiding.  So far it has worked for the last several years but I figure their luck will run out sooner or later.

it will.... And then the fun begins.