• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To bring, or not to bring...across the border to Canada

Zeraspooks.....out of curiousity what was your plan B on the DWI deal? My bro got one this past winter, and he is not planning on our guys yearly Canada trip this year. We leave this Sunday and are staynig near Buffalo bay.

It is my understanding that there is 5 year period in which you are not allowed if checked...and then more grace periods after that which require a lot of peperwork to even be considered for re-entry.

Anyways....my pops was really disapointed in my "(Contact US Regarding This Word)" of a brother and the fact that he will not be involved in our trip for at least the next 5 years. I am guessing there is really nothing that can be done besides having a plan B of another car for him to drive home if he is stopped?

Any thoughts?

311, if it's any consolation, I've got a friend who got one a couple years ago. When it happened, I thought that was the end of him coming up to Canada to visit me. So far, he's visited 3 times and he's 3 for 3. If it ever comes up, he'll be southbound.

Plan B would definitely be to have a ride lined up for a long trip south.

I just had a co-worker come back from Canada (LOTW) Morison area. He used his Passport and got by fine - another individual with a DWI in their group used his Fireman ID and his birth certificate and also go by fine. But as it has been mentioned before I think they both had back up plans to head south if they got denied (multiple vehicles)

Here's one for all you guys complaining about the price of beer in Canada. I just got back from a business trip to NYC, and a case of LaBatt's in NYC is $40.00! Also, a pack of smokes is around $7.50 before their wonderful triple sales tax, and gas was $2.45/gal. Tap beer runs around $7.50 for a 16 oz. pull. Bottle of MGD-$6.50. Just another reason to stay put in the Midwest.

I'm heading up to Morson next Thursday for Muskie Opener on Sat., I'll post a report when I get back.

I miss American prices....

I think I paid $38 ($30 USD)for a 24/case of Blue in the bottles last week, here in Kenora.

When I went to college, we would get a 30 pack of Old Mud for $9.99

30 bucks for Blue? (Contact US Regarding This Word)! Last year I got a case duty free before coming back and I didn't think I payed that much. Hell, I am in college and here we can get a case for 10 bucks for the cheap stuff. Sometimes they put the good beer on firesale for 10 bucks too.

Quote:

311 -

Our Plan B was to get him a motel room in I Falls and have a buddy drive up to get him the next day if needed. Luckily, we didn't need plan B

DWI is a Felony in Canada.

A Temporary Resident Permit at $200 CDN per trip is still better then going home.

This does not mean that everyone with DWI is denied.. it does mean that they have the right to deny you and they have and will continue to Deny entry into Canada for some Americans with DWI's in the past 10 years.

If your not going get the Temporary Resident Permit in advance I'd have an extra $200 cash to pay for a TRP at the border if needed. crossing the boarder

Blue at the duty free is much, much cheaper. That is the way to go for buying booze/beer on your trips up here. Don't buy it at your "ma and pa liquor store" down there. Get duty free just before you cross. (I'm sure everyone already knows this) Crown Royal 1.14 liter are usally $15 ea. (USD) Not bad. Case of CDN beer I think in the $12-$18 range.(USD)

Don't forget: each person can have up to 1.14 liters of hard liquor OR one, 24/case of beer.

I've been coming up to Ontario for many years, and the duty-free thing has always evaded me. Just how does this work? If you buy beer or tobacco at the duty-free shop, does this mean that you can bring in more beer and/or tobacco than the one case/carton of smokes? If this isn't the case, then why stop at the duty-free shop? Cheaper? Easier?

By the way, you can bring in more than one case beer or one carton of smokes, you just have to pay the duty on the excess quantity.

Eskay, the reason I stop at the duty free is for price. As quoted in an earlier post, things are just cheaper there. But this does not allow you to bring any more booze or tobacco with you. Yes, you would have to pay the duty on the excess. Sometimes it is still worth it to pay duty on the overage. (inconvienient though, as you then have to go in to pay the duty on it)

If you are in the market for a bottle, case of beer, or a carton of cigarettes, it's worth it to stop.

PierB

I couldn't open your link that you had on crossing the border. I have a family member that has not been coming with us the past couple of years because he had a DWI. are you saying you can buy the permit an unlimited number of times. Or is this hush, hush , because that sounds fairly easy to get around this DWI complication.

just hoping my family member can go back and enjot canada with the rest of us.

I just got back from Canada yesterday. We brought through 20 extra gallons of gas for two boats. At the Canadian customs, they just asked us where we were going and if we had any firewood, potatoes, dog food, alcohol, tobacco, or live bait with. We were prepared and said "no" or "yes" and told the officer how much. Then he said "have a fun trip, gentlemen". We had to stop and pay duty on some beer, but all of the officers were great. The absolute key is to know exactly what you have (write it down) and recite it to the officer. You don't have to volunteer information, and I'm sure they want it that way. Keep it short and to the point and it will go smoothly. Inside the customs building this guy was giving the officers all sorts of grief over booze duty. If I was one of those officers, I would have had him take apart his boat, truck, and everything he had. He was such a jerk. Don't be that jerk! We went through at 3:00 AM and it took us 15 minutes, meanwhile this guy was still there after we had paid and left.

I think we brought 9 cases and duty was $38 Canadian ($30 US). So, roughly $3.33 a case US. They do ask how much we paid for the beer. We drink Miller High Life, which is cheaper at $14 a case. How much duty you pay depends on how much the beer costs. So, a case of Miller high life ended up being $17-18 US money after adding duty. From reading these posts, this is about right. I do know that Labatt's purchased in Canada is expensive, plus at the little store we went to, they only sold beer in 6-packs. I'm a firm believer in purchasing everything you want or need in the US (except for bait), and pay the duty if you have to. Then you're guaranteed to have what you want to eat & drink, good fuel, the lures you want to use, etc.

When 3 of us went through International Falls Memorial Day weekend, we told them that we had 3 cases of beer and 1 liter of alcohol and they didn't say anything about paying a duty on it. They inspect everything and the one inspector saw the beer and alcohol and made a comment to the other inspector, but when they saw it on the notes from the guy in the booth, they were fine with it too.

Hello all!

My family and I will be heading to Lac Des Mille Lacs for the last week of July. We have done this many times with no trouble at the border yet. My question is this...Can we bring beef that we had butchered at a local meat locker? My father-in-law is a farmer, and he raised a steer for us to butcher. Does ther have to be any special markings on the beef packaging. Also, this may have been answered before, but do my kids need a photo ID in addition to a birth certificate? Is there any other food that can not be brought across the border?

Thanks,

Fishinglund

As far as the beef goes I would call and find out if the meat needs a USDA stamp or not, I don't think they would be very picky about it. I have never been asked for a picture ID for my son, just the birth certificate. If you can get one it would be a great insurance policy. The only foods I know of that cannot cross the border are potatoes and dog food. Have a good trip.

Fishinlund, call the Pigeon River border crossing at ask about the beef. 807-964-2093. It's well worth the phone call. I can't remember exactly, but each person can bring 5 lbs of beef across, or something. The only questions I got asked were: Did I have any beef, any dog food, or any bait. I would also ask the border patrol about kids and photos. Not sure of the answer there.

I just talked to the folks on the north side at Fort Francis and the answer given on the dog food is that it is ok as long as there is no beef or meat products in the bag and the bag is not opened. (chicken/fish are not considered meat) other than that, everything is fine.

Also, you can bring american beef for human use into Canada, just don't feed it to the dog I guess.

Bitz

Here is information from the outfitter in Canada I use regarding crossing the border with children:WHAT EVERY PARENT SHOULD KNOW IF HIS/HER CHILD IS TRAVELING TO CANADA WITH A FRIEND OR RELATIVE

A child ( anyone under the age of 18 years ) should always travel with the following documentation:

1. Proof of citizenship: eg.) Birth Certificate or passport,

2. A notarized letter from his/her legal guardian containing:

- authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country

- the name and telephone number of the child's legal guardian

- the child's destination in Canada

- the period of time the child will be in Canada.

Persons who are separated or divorced should keep legal documents handy regarding custody rights. When traveling in a group of several vehicles, parents and children should arrive at the border in the same vehicle.

An examining officer at the Canadian border must be satisfied that the legal guardian has given permission for the child to be in the company of the care-giver, and must always exercise caution to protect the welfare of the child.

For adults, passports are NOT NEEDED to enter Canada from the United States. Photo identification such as a birth certificate or driver's licence are sufficient