• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To bring, or not to bring...across the border to Canada

Since we are approaching a busier time with many of our neighbors to the south heading north to Canada for fishing or just for a vacation, I just thought I would keep a thread at the top for people to view and ask away.

Items in question:

No potatoes. Canned potatoes are allowed as are frozen hashbrowns, ole's etc. Just not raw, in bag, potatoes.

Beef is allowed. Must be less than 10 pounds.

No dogfood/petfood. This is in regards to beef content. I'm sure there are going to be some exceptions to this rule, but the customs officer informed me that to make things a whole lot easier, they are just telling people no pet food.

One bottle (1.14 liters) of alcohol per person OR

One case (24, 12 oz cans/bottles)per person

One carton of cigarettes per person OR one log of chewing tobacco.

Birth certificate and a photo identification are a must.

Age restrictions on the alcohol and tobacco are in effect. Duty can also be paid on any of your overages for alcohol and other items (I'm just not certain on what they are, so please call before, if you are unsure)

Phone numbers for a few of the local ports of entry are:

Rainy River/Baudette 807-852-3341

Fort Frances/International Falls 807-274-3655

Pigeon River/?? 807-964-2093

Toll Free Automated Service 800-461-9999

This information is accurate as of April 13, 2005. I will do my best to change any information if need be.

Hemlock,

Nice jacket.

Here are a few additions to your list.

Shot papers for your pet.

If traveling with the kids or grandchildren you will need a statement from the absent parent.

Mace, Pepper spray are a NO GO.

Extra gasoline is a gamble we have had to payed duty on one can one weekend and got waved through the next weekend with five cans.(Go figure)

We did find out that a $20.00 bottle of liquor will have a $26.00 duty applied to it.($46.00 total, we did learn to drink a little slower that trip)

Firewood

Worms must be in newspaper, no soil/peat.

Fireworks are a NO GO.(yes my wife did lable me for life on that one.)

The worst thing about going to Canada is, "they make you leave."

JT

Not completely sure I understand the question, sorry...Here are the numbers to call. I always get a "real person" when I call Rainy River or Fort Frances. Hopefully they can answer your questions.

Phone numbers for a few of the local ports of entry are:

Rainy River/Baudette 807-852-3341

Fort Frances/International Falls 807-274-3655

Pigeon River/?? 807-964-2093

Toll Free Automated Service 800-461-9999

Learn to drink slower???? Don't get me wrong I don't drink in the boat at all but why would you want to learn to drink slower once on shore? Canada has plenty of liquor stores once you cross the border and there are no limits on what you can buy there. tongue.gif

If you have extra alcohol they usually ask you what you paid for your alcohol and tax you on the figure you give them as long as it is reasonable, so be sure you know what the alcohol sells for or have a receipt. Be sure you don't report more than you paid unless you want to donate extra to the gov't.

Gentlemen,

Leave your pets at home especially your dogs. Last summer a good friend of mine brought his German Shorthair on a Muskie/Smallie trip to Lake of the woods (Morson/Tug Channel area). The dog picked up a fungus while up there. When he returned home the dog got real sick and died within a few days. Before that trip he did not have problems with his pets, but after that incident the muskie boys (our group of 10 or so) vowed to leave our pets at home. Talking to customs and others on the Canadian side, it is a problem especially early in the summer.

Low

Yes, there is a fungus out there that can cause serious illness or death. It is called blastomychosis. I have no idea if that is even close to the correct spelling.

It is here, and can be cause for concern. On the contrary, my family dog and other family dogs spend the entire summer on an island and have never come up with it. It is something that they dig up and then contract as they sniff it in.

I guess if you have the option to leave your dog at home, good idea. I would rate it one step up on the danger scale up from SARS.

Depend ing on where you go the black nose fungus is in the soil. Lots of areas have no trouble but it is out there. I have brought the dog with on some years and not on others.

Also no one has mentioned the now required PASSPORT!! I am not sure when it starts but you must have a passpost to get back in to MN.

Let's get some facts straight:

1. No passports required, either side. US proposal is for 2008!!! Canada's isn't even a proposal yet. And Bush admin. now is backing off the Homeland proposal because of huge opposition on both sides.

(On a related note, I've NEVER been asked for a birth ceriticate, either, despite some claims on this site that they require it. They don't. A second ID might be handy, though, such as a PALS card or birth cerrificate, in case your name is the same as some thugs on the computer. DL is enuff. PALS cards are almost magic, by the way, for speeding crossings. Birth cert's are required for kids who have no other id.)

2. Blasto is in many places, some hotspots include Kenora area and the Iron Range (Mountain Iron for one.) I hunt LOW with two groups of guys and between us a dozen dogs for many, many years, no problem. That said, could happen tomorrow.... But it's not a reason to leave Fido at home. I make 15 trips to LOW or more each year and bring them every time.

3. Dog food is okay to bring into Canada, it just can't have any beef it it, or any beef byproducts. They probably won't ask, but if they do.... just have it in the original unopened bag and your okay. You'll be surprised how many lamb and other dog foods have zero beef.

Just trying to keep Internet legends from spreading too much! I hear the big lake is open in most areas on the south, not sure about northern half...fyi...

Everything I posted in the original post of this thread was confirmed with at least one, if not two or three phone calls, as I am not the one that wants to be held responsible for false information.

Personal experiences are exactly that. WHat happens to you once or ten times, may not be the same for the next guy. I cross often and driver's license backed with a birth certifcate are the norm. Not always, but more often than not, that is what they need.

The dog food issue, I knew would torque some people, but that is one instance I called a couple different Port of Entry's to see what they had to say, and their answer was repeatedly to leave the dog food behind, it would make for a much easier crossing. If you feel you need to bring Fido's food, then prepare yourself to be asked to come in and start defending what is in it, or what isn't in it.

Passports as Wild Thing stated are still just in the making and not required yet.

The purpose of this thread is to aid people in some information about crossing the border, to make it easier. There will be controversy, and gray areas that nobody will know until they pull up to that window. Call one of the numbers I posted before with a list of questions. Canada Customs is very good at answering their phones and taking the time to help.

Ice is completely off of LOW as of Thursday, April 21.

A group of us are heading up by Kenora the first week of June. We're gonna fish for lakers for 2 days and spend the 3 day on Dogtooth in hopes of a monster 'eye. I've got a bunch of frozen smelt that I use here in MN for summer trolling for lakers and northerns and for the same species in winter. Can I bring them across the border? If not, do the bait shops up there have frozen ciscoes year round?

If smelt are a no-no, can we package up some sucker minnows and bring them across?

Thanks,

Brian

What is the deal with bait. I know live minnow are a no no, but what about leeches? I've heard everything from No leeches, to a certian amount is OK, to What, there's a ban on leeches? I'm planing a trip in July and would like to know what to excpect. Thanks for the help. smile.gif

My understanding is no live minnows or leeches. Leeches can be purchased and up there but I have found different times of the year where particular sizes or quantities can be hard to come by.

Where does everyone consider the best spot to pick up leeches? Right after you cross the border or are there certain locations with better quality bait than others? My group is heading to French Lake and then on to Pickeral. Thanks in advance.

Smelt are a no-no in any condition. Not even frozen is allowed per Ontario regs. Other minnows can be frozen or salted down. We've used salted shiners for winter lakers and done great. Mix 1/2 canning salt with 1/2 borax and the shiners stay nice and firm for several days.

The smelt thing is not a border crossing issue, it is a fisheries issue. You can not use smelt of any kind as bait regardless of where it came from. No smelt can be used in North Western Ontario.

Am I correct in assuming you cannot bring nightcrawlers across the border in commercial worm bedding? I've read on several sites they cannot be in dirt or soil. I've never used worm bedding before, so I'm not sure what's it's made from. Thanks!

I would reccomend calling one of the numbers I put up in the first post of this thread. The people there are usually friendly and can get you an answer. Doesn't hurt to ask for their badge # for a reference.

Don't buy the worm bedding, I buy a flat of crawlers when I go to my fly in cabin north of Red Lake Ont. 500 crawlers in a flat. Take news paper or cardboard rip it up in small pieces wet it down take the crawlers out remove the dirt,throw them in the new bedding. I put a freezer pack on top to keep them cool.

Hemlock, hows the perogie supply Maybe a trade Fresh Halibut from Alaska Caught April 10th for Perogie, We caught over 200lbs of Halibut biggest two went 60lbs total kept 6 fish

How's fishing been?

Cheers, where did you get your information from? I just looked at the Ontario Regs and I couldn't find any info. on this. It says that live smelt are not permitted, but it doesn't say anything about frozen smelt. I also have the regs at home...I'm going to research this a little better and maybe even make a phone call. I was just wondering if you had a personal encounter with a warden in Ontario.

Fish Nut Bob,

Fishing was OK yesterday. I went out with a friend and we brought a nice limit home after working around to find them. It wasn't hot and heavy, but a slow and fairly steady bite.

My perogie supply is always good. The people who make them set up all over town and everytime I see them, I stop and pick up 3 or 4 dozen. I would be very interested in a trade. smile.gif

When are you up again?