• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lazer auger help

ChuckN

Question

I've got an 8" Lazer gas auger. I've had problems with drilling holes lately, and I've had the original blades re-sharpened a lot, so I recently bought brand new ones. Turns out the brand new blades hardly can drill a hole too! After 3 holes I'm exhausted from putting all my weight on it....

I installed the new blades correctly, so that's not the problem.

Could the new blades be just plain faulty? They are razor sharp!

Any suggestions?

14 answers to this question

I know exactly what the problem is. The drill unit is bent where the blades screw into. You need a whole new drill unit. Are you opening old holes?? My buddy just had the same problem. Take it to D-Rock in New Brighton. He will give you a new shaft if it is still under warranty. Otherwise you will have to buy one. opening old holes is the worse thing on auger shafts.

protrapper is correct on the problem...

The auger can also be taken directly to Strikemaster in Big Lake and they will set the *pitch* on the blades right on the spot for no charge. I had that done last year and the auger drilled better than new.

Same happened with our Lazer 9". There was a recall on it and we didnt know it, after a while the blades got bent and it barely cut. So my dad took it up to Big Lake to get it fixed and they gave us a whole new auger shaft and a free set of blades with it!
They have good Customer Service.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

Thanks for the suggestions, that may be the cause.
The auger worked fine early in the season and gradually got worse, and now it is the absolute worst with brand new blades. I haven't re-opened holes this year, but have in the past.

If your needs require you to reopen old holes, the Jiffy Stealth is the way to go. It will chew through any type of ice, or old hole. No bucking or jumping to worry about.

With shavers your always best to drill fresh holes, the wear and tear trashes the blades and the flighting rather quickly.

Plus shavers bounce around and very frankly are darn dangerous to try to reopen holes with. I had a friend get 43 stitches in his ankle and leg from a Lazer bucking out of a used hole. I would avoid using it on old holes for that reason alone.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Well, my auger did, in fact, have a pitch problem. Somehow it must have gotten banged up or something confused.gif

Right after my reply at 10:09am I went outside with a hammer and cresent wrench (fit perfect over the auger tip/base), and re-pitched the darn thing myself. My wife said I better fix it, cause I'm not getting a new one!

I indeed fixed it. In fact, it hasn't drilled holes like that since it was new, 5 years ago. grin.gif

Clueless is my witness, as we drilled a bunch of holes today!!! Yesterday I couldn't drill 2.

Thanks for the suggestions.

[This message has been edited by ChuckN (edited 12-26-2003).]

Chuckn? Now that you folks have enlightened me as to why my laser has been driving me nuts after 3 sets of blades which all look to be perfect and it still won't cut. Is it easy to see that the pitch is off with the blades off,or on, and did you just guess when you bent it back or could you kinda see where it ought to be? I sure would like a quick fix rather than run 170 mi to big lake. If you can give me anymore details i sure would appreciate it and i promise never ever to reopen an old hole again. Thanks! bob

I couldn't see one bit of a problem with the auger or how the blades sat. When I was faced with a dilemma that someone recommended getting a whole new auger, what could I hurt by banging it up a little bit to try it out??

I'll try to explain.
I took the blades off. Then I placed a large Cresent wrench over the auger (tight fit) and then banged the wrench with a hammer until I bent the inside of the auger outwards. I did this all the way up the auger head, and I could tell it was bending because the 2 support poles on the head wouldn't budge. Then I knew I bent it too much after seeing that.

Then I placed the blades on the auger again to see if there were any errors, as the blades need to be tight to the auger. Any gaps required further movement.

I think what did it was the inside tip of the auger had been bent inwards (like from slamming the auger ontop of the ice or something) and the blades could not make proper contact with the ice. I bent both outwards and it worked like a charm.

I found the nearest ice to test it out. You can find a pond or any ice for that matter to test your efforts.

Hey Thanks ChuckN !!!! What you did makes much common sense. I will give it a try. When I first got my auger it cut so well one could hardly hang on to it, hope I get it back. I don't think I know you but we both live in God's country I'm so. of FF and I see you are e. of FF. I have to drive another 10 min. to get to the lakes. Good luck and thanks again for the info! bob

Bob,
Did you try to fix your auger? Since your so close, I may be able to help?? My auger has since drilled MANY holes since the repair and it is nice to have a good auger again... my email is chunord at yahoo dot com

Chuck, Just got your reply tonite I have done a little adjusting as you said. I am leaving for LOW early New Years and I will be the backup auger so should be ok as it was still cutting if I leaned it to one side prior to a little bending so I think one side is a little off. I will see if I've cured it when we get up there. Thanks so much for the advise and offer of help , this forum is so full of good people willing to help eachother out. I will get back to you with my results and if all else fails I will try to hook up with you and we can phone talk. I owe you one, again thanks Chuck!! Bob

Bob,
Bring a tool to remove the blade screws (allen wrench or small socket) a hammer and a cresent wrench to LOW. Find time to tinker with it right on the ice! It only took me maybe 15 minutes to get that auger going like new again...I still can't believe it's fixed... smile.gif
P.S. A good set of leather gloves too, OUCH!

Good fishing!!

[This message has been edited by ChuckN (edited 12-30-2003).]