• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wabigoon and dinorwic

River,

I have only been there once and that was last fall. The fishing was very tough. I heard many great things about the lake and from what I could tell talking with those at the resort that come year after year is that it usually is very good fishing and deserved its reputation but we hit a bad week. The fish we did catch were as fat and healthy as I have ever seen. 17" walleyes looked like 20"'s if you looked at the belly. Muskie supposedly abundant aslo.

Very dark, clay stained water where water clarity is measured in inches. We stayed at Indian Point Camp are were treated well.

Riverfishin, these lakes are a lot of fun to fish--but very different from most Canadian lakes. As mentioned, very reduced water clarity. The water color is a result of clay stain from wave action on the islands/mainland. However, the fish eat good. Real good! Walleyes, pike, smallies and muskies all have lots of girth for their length. With the stained water you can most of time catch fish shallow. We have caught walleyes in 2 feet on sunny days on top of reefs. The weedline is also shallow and rather skinny--but the fish don't mind that either. Besides the shallow fish, there are also "normal" fish that will be deeper on the humps and breaklines. You can also motor to smaller lakes on the chain that have clearer water for something different. Like I said--fun lakes.

Good luck.

Well, in a perfect world...............sure. Aside from the water color, Wabigoon is status quo with most other lakes--rocks, weeds, points, bays, reefs, current, etc. If you like shore tossing, just toss shallower--the weedline will kind of dictate a lot of things for you. The bays and coves with clay banks usually have the best cabbage. But don't neglect the shallow rocks--and don't whack them either! A great search bait for us was an orange whistler jig with a piece of plastic.

The Goon is just a fun place to fish.

I'll second that!! I've been taking an annual trip there for 3 years now and have not been disappointed. I like to stick to the smaller lakes on the chain and drag spinner rigs with crawlers or leeches. Most of my action has been on the soft bottom with some cabbage...8-12'. During mid-day I'll pitch the shorelines with cranks or jig/plastic for smallies. I'm often bit off by pike, but not many eyes going that route.

Have a fun trip!!