• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lindy rigs, jigs, bottom bouncers, spoons, crankbaits, oh my???? help.

SAR5

I would like to know what you have in your walleye tackle box. I got the above terms from this web site and i checked out some on line stores as well as local and it is mind bending the selection. What brands sizes and weights do you recomend for a well stocked walleye tackle box. I am going to leech lake in may/june by birch ridge with my dad so it will be a joint tackle box. Im going nuts with excitment and am trying to go with as much knowledge as possible to help make the fishing as great as the time spent with my dad will be! And do you store it in a soft side or hard tackle box? Thanks all this forum sure is a comfortable enviroment.

I have both a hard tackle box and some plastic containers. I use alot of jigs, crankbaits and spinner rigs with different sizes and colors. Ive tried bottom bouncers but I dont really like to use them. Slip bobber rigs would also work great on Leech.

I think soft-sided tackle bags are the way to go. You can buy extra plastic boxes that go inside the bags (as long as you get a standard size like plano 3600 or 3700) so you have almost endless options for getting the right stuff in there and leaving behind the stuff you won't need. And you don't need to fill the bag with boxes either. My folks who are casual fisherpeople at best have a tackle bag that holds 6 boxes. They have 3 boxes in there and use the rest of the space for the other stuff they bring out in the boat.

I know the fun of shopping before a trip and stocking up, but in my opinion you're better off getting a lot of what you'll need rather than a little of everything that you might need. I don't know Leech but at that time of the year you're probably fishing with jigs or live bait rigs, and the depth will give you the info you need for how heavy of jigs or slip sinkers or bottom bounchers. Find out from the resort what they think will be the stuff you need, or even wait until just before your trip and then buy whatever's working best. That takes the fun out of shopping ahead of time but it's a much better way to get an "effective" assortment of tackle for your specific trip.

If you like to troll that's a good way to see the lake and cover some water. A modest assortment of Husky Jerks, Down Deep Husky Jerks, and Shad Raps would probably give you everything you need to troll up some walleyes, pike and bass. I've even caught big panfish trolling the smaller sized jointed shad raps.

I don't know if any of this helps you, but have a great trip. It sounds like it will be awesome.

If you are going to be doing some drift fishing over some structure, I'd get yourself a good amount of jigs from 1/8, 1/2 ounce. The size you use for the day will depend on the wind you are up against. Don't over size the jig though, use just the right weighted lure that you can sense and can feel bottom with.

To heavy of a jig and the FISH will feel it just as much as you will.

I just use the run of the mill fireball jigs and gumball jigs. My favorite over the last couple of years are the MaxGap Jigs from Lindy. My tackle box is starting to fill with these jigs grin.gif

Another product out this year are the Scenic Tackle Pro Jigs. I think you'll enjoy both products I mentioned and I would highly recommend either.

The jig paint WILL hold up and the bleeding red hook makes both products a no brainer purchase!!

for leech lake in may our #1 choice would be jig and a shiner if you can get them. 1/8 oz would be first and if its real windy you will need a 1/4 oz just enough to stay on bottom. It might be late enough in the season to do alittle lindy rigging or spinners. rember alot of rock in leech so be prepared to loose some tackle

hope that helps we fish leech lots in the spring and fall. they will have special regs on it this year too

Jason

All the above are good places to start. If you get into Lindy Rigging don't pass up the Foam Walkers from Today's Tackle. They are basically a better Lindy Rig with more features and options. You can pull behind them some of JB lures spinners or some Phelps Floaters for stop and go presentations. The Foam Walkers do not tip over when you stop your retrieve. A Phelps Floater-keeps your bait off the bottom and your Leech or Minnow will work against the float to entice a strike! You can check out the Foam Walkers on this site in the product section. Good Luck!

Bruce Mosher

I guess it depends on the kind of fishing you're going to be doing as to what you'll need....

Lindy rigs can be extremely effective, but I have noticed that more novice fishermen can get frustrated with them, as it seems to me that the bite is a bit more subtle that with other presentations.

If I'm taking someone "new" out, I'll use either a spinner rig (which is a nice way to troll) or jig. Tip either one with minnows, leeches, crawlers, whatever's working at the time. Talk to the guys at the baitshop, and they'll normally steer you in the right direction.

The spinners & jigs tend to trigger a little more aggressive fish, and you can feel them hit better than on a Lindy, so you get less missed fish, and more hook-ups, IMHO. cool.gif

Good luck and welcome to FM!!! grin.gif

Hi Sar5

Over the years (more then I care to reveal), I have gone to about a gazillion seminars by walleye "pros". An interesting pattern I have noted is that each of them has 1 or 2, and maybe a 3rd techniques they prefer and promote.

I think their secret is they they get REALLY good at a couple of techniques (i.e. jigging and spinner or bare bait rigs seem most prevelant). It is not that they don't troll, use plastics, or crank baits etc. but those seem to be fall back things when their preferred technique isn't producing.

I am still developing skill at one stationary technique (Jigging)and one moving technique (Lindy, spinner, or bottom bouncer rigs). I also occassionally use slip bobbers. It's a nostalgia thing from my mis-spent youth. I still like to watch a bobber disappear.

DN

Box... What only one. I just got done prepping my lures for open water, only when I got done I had 3 BIG tackle bags full of equiptment. One for all my crank baits (8 - 9" X 14" trays full)..this one containes a whole bunch of Rapala Husky Jerks, DT's, Shad Rap RS, Tail Dancers, Down Deeps and Countdowns. One for all the rigging equipment (6 - 9" X 14" trays full)...this contains all snells, harnesses, bottom bouncers, spinners and terminal tackle I could need. Lastly the final tackle bag 6 (smaller trays) for all the jigs ranging from 1/16 oz to 1 oz.

All I can say is once you start may not be able stop. The best tackle bags that I have found and am using have been the gloomis and shimano hard bottom tackle bags. You can still find the gloomis bags all over but you may have to find the shimano's on hsolist or another place online as I have purchased 3 of them off hsolist.

I can't wait either, Border Water opens April 30th and I am looking forward to it.

Take care!

If you're targeting late May or early June I'd recommend the Jig and minnow, leech or crawler set up. I haven't tried the Scenic tackle Pro Style jigs yet. But if they're anything like the rest of their products they'll be great. Also the lindy rig. The snagless sinker or the foam walker would work great. There's alot of rock that can be productive that time of year.

Then there's cranks....Too many options to cover them all. But I like shad raps of different sizes, colors and styles. Thundersticks, rattlin rogues and the list goes on and on.

The the slip float with a jig and minnow or leech can be a deadly presentation as well. Try the wave busters. Very effective and you can add a small cylume stick when it starts getting dark.

BTW, I love bottom bouncers for beginners. They just have to hold on until something pulls. No feeding line necessary in most cases. But the spinner bite usually picks up the later half of June through the rest of the summer. But you never know.

Borch

I usually like to use any type of lindy rig from opener to around late may to mid june. Once the water temp rises, I like to move to Rapala crank baits and patrol the big flats with them. I like shad raps and countdowns for doing this.

Sar5,

The best thing you can do is educate yourself, and this is a great place to start. Read articles, magazines, anything to improve your odds. I've been fishing consistantly since the late 70's and I'm always getting educated. First thing I can recommend is to try different techniques, even if it seems awkward, stick to it and master that technique. At one time, I never liked to "jig", because I really never knew how to correctly. Now, after all these years I'ts my favorite method, I've boated more fish and had more fun since. For jigs, 1/8 oz. - 1/2 oz. would be fine for walleye/pike. Get short shank for casting and longer shank for dragging/drifting. Leech is a great lake to fish, most important is the time you spend with your father! Good Luck.

Hooked

OK thanks to all your suggestions I went out today and picked up some gear. I took your advice and did not go over board, for the few thing I got it was still over a hundred bucks. If you see something you dont think we need let me know and if you see something missing the same. Thanks.

.assortment of jigs, short and long shank all with collars?

.Minnow, leech, crawler lindy rigs3/8,1/4,

.Floating lindy rig for minnow, crawler, leech,1/4

.mimic minnow spin1/16 oz,mms2-22 firetiger

.Rainbow spinner w/quick change blade size 1,silver spoon

.package of stinger hooks,

.lindy no snagg veg-e-jig, 1/8 perch

.lindy no snagg, timbr rock jig 1/8 perch

.phelps weedless spongy bug floater jig,size 1 lime grn

.apex minnow rigs indiana blade 48" snell lime grn

.berkley gulp 3" minnow grub, watermelon,chartreuse,black in 2"

.bottom bouncers 1/8,1/2, 3/4,1/4

.matzuo lures 1 long body style w/ small lip, 1 short body large lip in firetiger, 1 short body small lip in natural color

.smithwick suspending super rouge5"green and silver red eye

.rapala deep runner shad rap sr-7 in red hot tiger from gander mountain

wow thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help.

Looks like you have a real good start on a walleye tackle box. I myself would add some Rapala Countdowns and Shad Raps in Perch and Firetiger in sizes 7 and 9. Work good for finding aggresive fish.

I would also second the recomendation you got on hiring a guide for the first day or two of your trip. A lot of those guys will supply all the tackle you need for fishing. If you pick their brain on the how, why, where and what of fishing you will learn more about fishing than you could from a video or book.

One thing I would like to add to all the sugestions you have gotten so far is to match your rod and line to the lures and type of fishing you plan on. I like a 6'6" or 7' medium or medium light spinning rod for raps and a little shorter and heavier for jigs or rigging.

Well thats a good start I would say.

One thing I will say since I use bottom bouncers a lot during the summer. Is to get some bouncers that weight, 1oz 1.5oz and one or two 2oz.

When I went to Canada when I was young (8 or so), we used Bottom Bouncers there no matter what. It was what the guides used and depended on to catch fish and that they did. So ever since then I have been using them for fishing a bunch more and I understand them much better. We did the Ca trip for 8 years in a row.. then I had to start college and High school Grad stuff.

I use the 1.5oz almost regularly in the summer, sometimes I will drop to the 1oz, and sometimes I will use the 2oz. It pretty much depends on your depth and how fast you are going. With them you want to keep ur line at a 45º and only touch the bottom everyonce in a while to make sure your are still close to it. Otherwise your BB should be about a crank or 3 off the bottom. If its on the bottom it starts to lay flat and wont pull the spinner right, and it also makes the spinner jerk a lot, fish dont really like that to much.

Like when I start pulling snells with only a hook or a floating jig head then I might go down to 1/2 oz or 3/4 if the fish are very picky. Otherwise Im still at a 1oz. A lot off people may look at me like I dont catch fish, but I probably do just as good or catch more that way.

I will add that when the fish aren't biting very good, try drifting with a Lindy-rig and don't be afraid to use a longer snell, say six to eight feet from sinker to hook. Just be sure you use a good swivel to avoid line twist,tie on the swivel the six to eight feet from the end of the line with the sinker sliding on the line above the swivel. I've had some of my best fishing on Leech drifting with a wind sock to slow the boat down a little. Good luck, and have a blast with your Dad! cool.gif