• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wader, wading boots???

Lynno62

Ok Guys I need help again. Not sure if I am posting in the right spot. As those that have met me I am not a small gal. If I were to get waders how does that work. How about the waders with no boots, and get wading boots then do your feet get wet? I know with regular waders with the boots attached your feet do not get wet,but i take like a size8 8/12 womens shoe, how would that work for waders to get to fit the rest of me? Thanks guys./gals, Lynn

I'll put this in gal terms, not trying to be sexist. With the no boot waders its like putting on loose nylons, the waders have stocking feet, you pull on the whole out-fit and put boot on over the sock. I have both neoprene and loose nylon. If fishing alot of cold water neoprene is the way to go. If some what warmer water loose fitting nylon is way to go. I like the light nylon, can move easier, not so as hot and you feel like your stuffed into a sausage casing with the heavyier neoprene. Its about $150-200 total so get the ones that feel good to you and try the boots on over whatever outfit you get, neoprene is thick and will obviously make boots tighter. hope this helps. If ya got lots of money get both. I still use both of them for diff situations. Not that I got lots of $, just fish alot. Or used to b-4 kids.

If you will be duck hunting with your waders you would rather have the boot type, your feet will stay warmer than with the wading shoes type. I too have a problem with finding waders that fit my feet and midsection, so most of the time I have to get sz 15 boots so they fit my beer gut!!! grin.gif

Thanks for the help quys. Now just a couple more questions.

If i dont have the waders and just use a wading boot then my feet would get wet, just like walking with anyother boot on in the water? I think i might have a hard time walking in a size 15 wader. But I get the idea. I dont plan on doing a lot of wading, and if i do probably warmer wether were i would not maybe even need waders. Thanks again.Lynn

For cold weather neoprene is very tough to beat. You can go with the lighter weights and then wear a good base coat of 400-weight fleece to add the warmth needed in cold weather. That way you still have the upper comfort range in the waders during warmer summer months.

Fleece is sweet under waders of any type and they add a less “clammy feel” to ultra-light waders or even rain gear.

If most of your wader use will be in colder water go for broke and get good 5 MM neoprene waders with insulated boots. Standing in cold water for an extended time can make a person mighty stiff and good waders are as comfortable as a snuggly sleeping bag when wearing a fleece base coat beneath.

A good DU model 5 MM pair in large sizes may run you $200 or more, $160 is doable if you shop around a bit. Some sales on waders on now at GM and other sporting retailers so shop a bit and see what feels good to you.

A good pair is cheaper them a cheap pair in the long run. As you will replace/repair them less and use them more.

Bigger people may have trouble fitting thier mid section into them tight fitting neoprene waders. try going with the rubber waders there is more room for the mid section to fit.I'd say go to the store and try some on.

Wading boots designed for stocking foot waders have drain holes in them, your feet will get wet without the waders. If your in real shallow water there are plenty of knee high rubber boots avaiable from $20 on up. If your getting in a little over your knees you could also get a pair of hip boots(these are available in boot foot or stocking foot,with stocking foot you need wading boots and gravel gaurds.) A pair of rubberized canvas boot foot hip boots are about $30 on up. With knee or hip boots all you need is to size them for your feet.

For staying dry in water over waist high you would need chest waders, Available in stocking foot or boot foot styles. There are many types of fabrics used for these, the high dollar ones are usually heavy neoprene or light breathable fabrics. At the lower cost end are the rubberized canvas ones. Walmart usually even has disposable vinyl waders. Chest waders are available in sizes to fit anyone. Not all stores will carry the larger sizes or the small ones. Any of the chain stores or mail order outlets should be able to get you a good fit.The Cabelas catolog has a good sizing chart.

Boot foot waders are more convient to put on or take off and no boots to lose. Stocking foot waders are much better in muck(I have pulled my feet out of boot foot waders when the boot got stuck in the muck)and more comfortable for walking.

Hi there Lynno62. They make waders in both mens and womens styles, with the womens having the appropraite measurement cuts in them.

As for bootfoot or stocking foot waders, it depends on what you'll be using them for. Bootfoots are better for hunting or cold water fishing becuase of the added insulation inthe boot. Stockingfoots are great for summer stream fishing because the wading boots you buy are a lot easier to walk in.

Neoprene waders are the cold weather go-to while the breathable waders made with a Gortex material keep you dry and cool during the warm weather.

If you are just looking for a cheap pair of waders to use I have some closeout Remington neoprene waders in mens size small. My wife wears them for both hunting and fly fishing. She has a size 8 foot. I can get some other measurements if you would like. Drop me a message at edjwendt at juno dot com. Good luck.

Ed