• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Pigeons

dogsNroosters

I have a pup away at bird training school right now, he will be back next week. I want to keep his training going once he returns. Is there anyone in the Metro Area or reasonably close to the metro that has pigeons for sale? I have a place to keep them and conduct the training I just need the birds.

Has anyone used a pigeon trap? Is it effective?

dosgnroosters,

Pigeon traps work great!! All free birds with no limits! What I found is under any under-pass that has a ledge up underneath to set traps works great. It is best to leave the trap open for free food for a few days then set it so the free lunch is over.(Cracked Corn works great). Other options for trapping are finding apartment buildings or office buildings that need thier pigeons controlled or removed from thier roofs or parking ramps.

When trapping under bridges the best time to work the traps are very early morning before traffic is out that way PETA people won't see you or your trap locations. The DNR & DOT are completly OK with trapping the birds. They are an un-protected bird. Usual bag will be from 2-3 birds a day what ever the trap will fit.

I have a new pup coming in june & have already scoped out some local metro spots on my drive to & from work for possible trapping locations. the trap connfiguration I use is the one developed in the author Wolters books.

Good luck!

Chris

Thanks for the info.

Another question on the pigeon traps. I have heard that it works best to place 1 pigeon in the trap as a confidence decoy. Of course that only works after you have caught or bought a bird. Any idea if this is true? I suppose if I can get 2-3 / day just with corn, there is no need for the decoy.

Matt

One thing I've done is shot them with a sling shot. You have to be a little careful not to use too big of ammo and pull back too far, otherwise you can actually kill the bird instead of just stunning them. With a little practice, I'm able to stun one on the first shot, walk over and just pick it up. May want to find a secluded area if you want to try this method, might offend some people. Just another option I guess.

erw