• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thanks Ank, I would imagine most if not all of Bitter is clear by now , and that must be an interesting site, I have been on one called Terraserver but it does not have current photos Thanks again - T

TBone1

A friend of mine and myself fished that lake about 4 years ago. Caught LOTS of walleyes, I mean LOTS. We fished for two days, maybe 3 hours each day and probably caught and released 70-80 fish. We didn't keep any though because we were told the water and fish was high with mercury. Do you know if that is still the case? Are the fish safe to eat from this lake?

Yes there is a mercury warning on Bitter and probably always will be. I personally have never ate a fish from Bitter but know people who have and they say the fish taste bad. But it can be a awesome lake for Walleye and Northern if your just looking to catch and release

Yeah, you got that right! We were using #5 shad raps in the clown color trolling about 2.5mph over fish suspended down about 12' and just hammered them. It was a lot of fun. Most fish were in the 16.5-17 inch range, but I'd take a walleye like that any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

I don't know if you're much of a crappie fisherman, but my buddy and I hit Kampeska (sp?) that same weekend and limited out both days. That was a lot of fun. That's the only time I ever fished that lake, but from what I remember, there was a man-made channel that was dug out between some houses left of the launch where we caught the crappies. Just a slip bobber with a small hook and minnow down about 2 feet.

Well at any rate, I saw the post on Bitter and was curious.

Good luck and good fishin'!

its open, was by there on saturday, little bit of ice left blown up along the north shore, nothing to speak of. Fish out of bitter taste just fine to me, people just got it in their heads that they're bad is all, just not supposed to eat alot at a time. Have had lots of people say they taste like mud, or even turn ya green, I think they're just bad cooks. Its one hell of a lake to bag up on, i tell ya that, Shad raps in 7-12 foot of water along the weedlines has produced literally hundreds of walleyes for me and me mates the last few years. Mostly in that 15-18 inch range but plenty over 20 also, Also have bagged some fat-bottomed sloughsharks.

Anyone been tryin it yet this spring, was thinking about tryin it this weekend.

We caught a couple on Bitter Saturday evening. If you want to eat the fish out of that lake go ahead,thats up to you.I do know that it is a fun lake to fish. I'm also not real excited about eating fish out of alot of other lakes,just my opinion.