• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexlar problem

Question

I have a friend that has a Vexlar FL8st and the unit won't pick-up the jig, but picks up the bottom with no problem! The question is -- is it the transducer or the flasher module that is the problem ?? Is it buy a new iceducer or send the unit in for repairs? It is just over two years old !!
I sold the unit to him! "NEVER FAILS" "RIGHT"
Any info would be appreciated !!

Richard
Pro Staff Director
Catch-N Tackle/Bio-Bait
Marcum
Otter Outdoors

19 answers to this question

Nothings bullet proof but the FL8SLT is darn close. I'd be interested to see what depth and what jig he was using. It's hard to believe on the FL8SLT he couldn't get a jig to show? Sounds like transducer to me if it's only 2 years old.

Sometimes lakes have a natural current that can carry a small jig out of the signal cone. This happens sometimes on Mille lacs in waters of 25 feet or more.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
320-293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by Derek Johnston (edited 12-21-2003).]

Do a quick cleaning of the transducer surface and then try the Air Demo Test to check the strength of the transducer.

Vexilar "Air Demo Test"

Set your Pro Pack, or whatever ice kit you have, onto a kitchen countertop or workbench in the garage. There must be a flat solid floor below, no carpet. Place a hard cover book on the carpet if you need to.

Hang the Ice-Ducer over the edge so that the bottom is about 24" from the floor. Make sure that it is hanging by itself in mid-air and not resting against anything. This is to insure that the transducer will hang straight. If you have a Puck transducer mounted on an arm, level it off so it is pointing straight at the floor. Now, turn the flasher on to the first range. With the Gain set to zero, you should see a mark at the 12:00 position indicating the top, or your transducer, and another mark at the 9 foot line indicating the bottom, or floor.

Notice how the depth is completely inaccurate. The reason is that the speed of the burst of sound coming out of your transducer is traveling much slower in the air than it would be in the water. So the unit thinks it's deeper. Also the strength of your system is much weaker in air than water. The top line should be mostly red in color. The bottom line may be green, orange, or red (depending on the strength of your system, how straight your transducer is, and the type of floor).

If you cannot see the floor mark without having to turn your gain up, try a harder or smoother type of floor. If there is no change, the system has a sensitivity problem. You must see at least a green mark, on a hard floor, with the gain at minimum to pass the test.

You can judge the overall sensitivity of the system by doing this "Air Demo" test, but you can't tell if a weakness is due to the unit or transducer (which is much more common) without replacing one or the other with a known good component.

To solve this, borrow a friend's transducer or bring your setup into your local Vexilar dealer and ask if you can use one they have in stock for your test.

If your transducer doesn't pass the test, it will have to be replaced. Weak transducers cannot be repaired.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Hey, I used the vexilar on Saturday on a Private pond. The area was about 20 feet deep. I turned the button one click to the left for shallow water. I put the aqua view down and could see it but then it would cut out. I put a decent sized jig on with a piece of Bio Bait on it so it was a good size. *The fish could not resist! I could not read my jig. A guy who knows a lot about vexilars who I was fishing with tryed helping me out. He gave me a new fully charged battery. We switched vexilars and my bait showed on his. The battery didnt make a difference. We tried everything but I could not pick up my jig. Help!

Adam! Let's try a new transducer or switch transducers with your buddy and see if that takes care of the problem! If that fixes the unit, I will buy you a new transducer.
Thanks Gentlemen for the GREAT information !! I owe you all one !!
ISN'T THIS SITE GREAT!!!

Fellow "FMer"
Richard

Does the Fl-8SLT have Low Power mode? Sounds like you may be using the LP mode if you have one. Not sure if that is just on Fl-18's but I never used to use the mode. Tough to pick up anything with that.

Otherwise, your transducer is shot. I went thru a lot of them before I learned to take better care of them.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

yup, you probobly have a weak transducer.
I was pretty rough with my transducer through the first few years not knowing the crystal inside is very fragile.
I could'nt see my small jigs in water over 25' of water.
Everyone I asked told me it was my transducer that needed to be replaced.
So I bought a new one and walla' works like a brand new locator.
I was told by Vexilar that was most likely the problem and they were correct!
Good Luck!

The Fl-8 SLT does not have a built in LP Mode. The FL-8 SLT utilizes an S-Cable to achieve the same LP results as is now built into the FL-18 as the LP mode.

If the FL-8 SLT has a S-Cable on the back, remove it, and do the "Air Demo Test", just in case the resistor on the S-Cable went bad.

Do the "Air Demo Test" and then if the signal appears weak, try the transducer swap to confirm it is indeed the Transducer and not the unit itself.

My money is on a weak Ducer.

Start simple, don't forget to clean the surface of the puck. I have seen an oily film on the surface cause complications that resemble what your seeing too.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Adam! there is an "S" cable on the back! I never thought it would go bad?? Remember that little short cable I showed you on the back of the unit . Try that and let me know!! Offer still stands !

Richard

Whoop Der-it-is!
Pop this thingy off (S-140 S-Cable) and give it a go with just the transducer on line.
s-140.gif
Your unit's output power, watts, is reduced by 70% when the S-Cable is installed. Very handy for shallow water or in clutter filled waters, not so handy in depths much over 12' with smaller jigs.

Just for the piece of mind you will still wish to do the Air Demo Test to be sure all is well.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>