• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is anyone wincing about gas prices?

I have been staying closer to home. I have discovered and rediscovered some lakes with less road time and $$$ to get there. Is there anyone else fishing closer to home because of this? Just wondering!

Might be fishing less or not at all if gas goes to the $2.50 mark they are predicting by summer. The more gas goes up the more everything else will go up in price. The only thing that won't go up is my Salary frown.gif. The oil companies are making record profits. I can't see how gas prices can almost double in less than 2 years. The oil companies have got everyone used to paying the high prices, so I think the days of $1.50 or less in gas prices are a thing of the past.

Got me wincing at the gas pump when my gas bill reaches over $45. I can remember looking at the low $30's to fill a tank of gas in my Silverado. Now it is closer to $50.

YES- I will start discovering some of these lakes closer to my home.

I hear yah loud and clear, I shouldn't have bought the HEMI in the Dodge that thing really sucks the gas, but it has the horsepower!!! grin.gif I agree that a guy will be fishing closer to home this summer, but I am sure I will be fishing no matter what the prices are, its in the blood!!! grin.gif

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING!!!

yeah i will be looking closer to home this summer also. i can remember when i graduated high school back in 98 and the prices being under $1, hard to believe they have more than doubled in that short of a time period. i commute 45 miles to work one way and am glad i got a good deal on a commuter instead of my silverado. just hope it doesn't get as high as they say. but people will keep driving and so the price will keep going up. i mean, i drive everyday and keep doing it.

Does anyone else remember when they used to have gas wars?

I have seen gas prices as low as .19 cents. You could put a $1 in the tank and flip the loop all night.

The Old Guy.

Yep, recall 19 cents - was 29.9 seemingly forever as a kid. When I started driving it went to 50 cents which was a killer! Back in the day they also washed windshields and vac'd the car when you filled up.

My opinion is it is not the gas companies that are responsible for the price hike. It is the media stirring the pot. I'm sure the gas companies are not complaining though.

Gas stations rest assured that the prices will not affect my fishing habits one bit. I'm sure Rapala, Cordel and Reef Runner, might not like the fact that I'm not buying lures to pay for gas.

As soon as gas is more expensive than bottled water (about $3.50 a gallon) or cheap wisky (which is $15.00 per gallon), then my priorities might have to be adjusted. shocked.gif

mw

These prices not only have me thinking of fishing more around home, it has me thinking of trading my F150 for a Ranger and my 18' Fisherman for a 16' tiller boat mad.gif

That being said, my wife and I are only a few hours from heading out with the F150 and Fisherman on our 250 mile trek to Chamberlain...for the 2nd time in a week confused.gif

My problem with gas over $2.00 is the fact that it has raised our standard a bit. The next time we see $1.80 gas we'll think it's cheap!

This will affect us in ways people don't realize. Prices at the store may go up due to increased shipping costs. Taxes could be affected due to the high cost of running govt vehicles. Farmers and ranchers will be affected...the list goes on and on.

Got gas today at the Hy-vee station for $1.96 with the discount, a bargin compared to $2.19 at some other stations on the way home. I hope the oil market settles down soon. I wish there were more E-85 stations around, I think I would go get the Flex-Fuel Truck Chevy has. You can burn any type of gas in it.

Anyone have one of these trucks?

Also if you go to my homepage I have a link that shows the gas prices in South Dakota. Go to my Profile for the link to my site. You can check the price of gas in many south dakota towns.

I,m old enough to remember the gas wars. The lowest I paid was .21, but two blocks later I saw it for .19. But back then I was making a buck an hour throwing bales. I drive a Silverado with a 34 gallon tank now and the last time I filled it up it cost me more than my first car did.

ifishsd,

I have a 04 Sierra with the flexible fuel option. I can hardly recommend the 300 dollar option though. When I use regular 89 octane 10% ethanol I average 17-19 mpg when Im not pulling the boat and with E85 I get 14 to 16 mpg. If all I did was pull the boat I might burn E85 more since there is a noticeable power increase.

Walterman-

Nobody complains about the cost of pop and bottled water because these are luxury items. We can all maintain our lifestyle paying (or choosing not to pay) high costs for somthing we don't need. $2.00-$2.50 prices will affect the lifestyle of most.

Gasoline goes both ways. When we talk about buying $2.15 gas for our boat, it would be considered a luxury. On the other hand, gas is certainly a nessessity in most other cases. Most NEED gas to get to work. Some NEED gasoline to do the work (farmers, truckers, construction, etc..). Expensive bottled water will not affect the economy like this will.

The day I need to drink 15 gallons of bottled water in order to drive to Thompson is the day I will quit fishing. <---not sure if that sentence made sense, but you get the picture..

Hey I heard on Keloland that gas prices in some Minnesota communities dropped to $1.92. Is this true? Looks like it will be cheaper fishing in Minnesota from now on! ;-)