• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many of you guys have fished Eagle Lake before in NW Ontario? I have a trip booked up there in June with Bear Trail Lodge. Went up there last year but the weather sucked. So if anybody has been up there tell me how you did and what you used please. Any info would be appriciated.

We were there last June and the weather was horrible too, must have been the same time? We were also there a few years back and did very well. You didn't specify what it is you will be fishing for but Walleyes should be on the shoreline reefs, northern and muskie in the developing cabbage. Such a huge lake, hard to give specifics.

We did the same last June and pounded the lakers, not the biggest, about 4-8 lbs, but lots of them. There is another lake on the other side of there that we pounded the walleyes in too, we had to drag the boat on logs about 50 yards, but worth it. The creek is definatley a challenge, we found that if we went fast, we wouldn't hit any logs, one guy on the bow spotting, pretty fun.

Was there last July, caught literally hundreds of walleyes in 3 days w/ 3 guys, a few dozen pike and in only about 3 hours of fishing for them probably 10 nice smallmouth. For walleye, a jig/minnow combo seemed best, color made no difference. Just bring a lot of them, theres a ton of rocks. We fished the pike the same way, just bigger jigs and bigger minnows. Smallies on crankbaits, a few on hula-poppers.

I was there 2 years ago late May and did very good. Pitched shoreline with light jigs and anything that resembles a minnow, even jig/plastics worked fine. We fished as close to the sanctuary (off-limits for spawning) as we could. We caught & released many 'eyes & garbage can lid size smallies. One big muskie over 40" released also. Come June, the deeper humps hold "nice fish. I was fortunate enough to share some stories with a eagle lake guide, and he claims there's a muskie lurking around over 75 lbs., says the fish has broken everything he has thrown at it. Good luck.

Hooked

I also was up there and was out with a guide who was telling a story about a fish they called "Freight Train", if I remember right. A very large muskie that has been hooked many times but never caught. He never talked inches but when somebody asked him if it was pushing 60" he just smiled and went back to fishing.

i went to eagle lake a few years back, did great on the muskies and northerns but nothing to brag about on the walleyes, i dont think i would go back there again to fish walleyes but for muskies i would go in a heartbeat. Yeah my guide had a few stories like that up his sleeve never heard the one about frieght train though.

Fished Eagle twice for walleyes with a guide in boat both times, I must say I walked away extremely unimpressed. I have been all over this region of Ontario and if Eagle isn't at the dead bottom of lakes I would rate on my scale it is pretty close. There are definetely big muskies and pike present though, although I would still rate other Musky lakes far better in my opinion as well. Too many resorts and people on this lake for being this far up into Canada

Eagle is either ON or it's OFF. You definately take a chance at having a lousy week when going to Eagle. But, at the same time you could be in for a week of a lifetime.

I've been going up there for almost 6 years. I've seen alot of big walleyes caught out of there. Had probably two bad years and 4 good ones. Unfortunately the bad ones were pretty bad...