• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any good home made gadgets for ice fishing?

slabs-ia

Question

5 answers to this question

Here is a simple one I have been using for a few years now. A sling for the ice auger. A guy could modify a gun sling or baggage sling or go high tech like I did and just bend out the hooks on a rubber bungie cord and hook one end to the handle of the auger and the other end near the blade. Throw it up over your shoulder and you have a extra free hand. You will be amazed at how far you can carry the auger this way with no discomfort to your shoulder. If you are on a long treck you might just want to sling it across your back.
Give this one a try out in the garage some night and I think you will see right away how simple and practcle this is.

This worked good for me until I recently bought an Eskimo shelter. When I started ice fishing with my two 3 year olds I struggled to carry their chairs, rods, snacks, Thermos, auger, etc. from the truck to the lake. I wondered how to make a lightweight sled until I stumbled on something dark in my garage. I have a cheap plastic toolbox that fits across my pickup bed that I used for only a month before getting a camper. I tied a rope in a loop on one end and all my gear fit in this sled that weighs little. It fits through the door of my camper but could still be used across the bed. I added downhill skis last year for a late trip on a lake whose road was long and often had long stretches of dirt and pulled it with snowmobiles. Held them on with angle strap material, unsure of proper name. I thought of running the rope through two pieces of PVC to make more of a rigid hitch.

Kevin

heres one a made-up when money was tight a few years ago, I took a truck toolbox and made a filp style ice shack. after a few rebuilds it worked great, but if i did it now I'd getthe one that sat in the bottom of the truck and didn't hang off the sides.

I made a holder for my auger to ride on the front of my wheeler using scrap lumber I had in the garage. use a 1x8 and 2x2s. cut one peice of the 1x8 the width of the front rack, attached the 2x2s to both ends and then cut two peice of 1x8 attached them to the ends. looks like a really wide U. V the ends for the auger to rest it. bungee cord the thing down, sits tight with no movement. cost: about 50 cents for the screws.