• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable eagle fisheasy finder 2 w/ ice-dapter

chadice

Question

Anyone used this set up ice fishing? I have the portable Finder unit already and it works well in open water and on my boundary waters trips. I am wondering about people's expereiences using this unit on the ice. I would need to buy the optional ice-dapter arm to attach it to the portable unit, either that or rig up my own. Just wondering if it was worth trying to use this unit on the ice. Thanks in advance.

Chadice

10 answers to this question

I have been using the ice dapter for about 5 years now with my Eagle (I had the Magna II and replaced it with the fisheasy two years ago). I just had it out on Winnie this past weekend. It actually works very well. You can turn your sensitivity up really high and see your bait. It's no FL 18 but you know when the fish are coming through and you get true depth reads. Put it this way, it works well enough so that I can't quite commit to spending $239 on a Vexilar. Just don't let it get too cold or the liquid crystal will go. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip. I did not expect to be able to see my bait with this unit. So you turn of the fish mark id system, or whatever it is called and just go with the graph mode and that is where you adjust your sensitivity?

They should still have them at Gander. It's bascially two metal rods, one attaches to the side of teh unit and the other hangs down and has a mount for your ducer. I think it costs about 25-30. Cheaper than a Vexilar.

yes the menu arrows will give you sensitivity as an option, set it up around 60% and when you jig you will see your lure appear on the screen. If your jig is really small go higher than 60. I use it more just for depth reading and knowing if there are fish below.

I have the same unit. I didn't know there was an ice adpation for it. Where can I pick one up and how much are they? I am thinking and hoping to get a vexilar, but might be stuck with this beast for another year. It works OK. Don't like it for shallow water though.

I re-wired the inside of mine to use a gell cell also. It's the way to go.

Now you guys have me convinced I really don't need the Vex. (My wife thanks you) If anyone has more tips on using this set-up even more effectively I'd like to hear them.

I used this set up for 2 years but upgraded to the flasher recently.

This works fine. I actually ran 8 D cells in it instead of a gell-cell ( I highly recommend the gell-cell batteries if you don't have one). You can see your bait and even see fish. If there is fish hugging the bottom, you will see the bottom get thicker. There have been many times where the bottom got thicker and I dropped my bait down and jigged it up to actually see a line separate from the bottom and follow my bait. It's pretty cool. There is a slight delay in the reading but not too noticeable. I have had problems shooting through the ice with it though and had at times trouble balancing the transducer. The ice pack accessory comes with a bubble balance thingy so I don't think it's too much of an issue. Sorry for being so long winded. Bottom line, you can use it and it will work, plus it is better than having nothing. Good luck!!!

I just picked up a Eagle FishEasy 2 up from Gander Mountain. The guy there said it was a hot seller over Christmas...Or so he said.

They didn't have any ice-dapters avaliable though...Was wondering if it is necessary to have one or if it was possible to just make my own.

Thanks for any help.