• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eskimo Quick Flip Owners--Like/Dislike?

Question

Was impressed with the Quick Flip 3 at the show, for the money I did not see a better deal for the headroom, size etc. How do you owners like them? I will not be pulling it behind a 4 wheeler or snowmobile so the sled looked ok. Thanks for the help.

25 answers to this question

I bought my QF II a week ago and because of warm weather haven't used it. I assembled it mostly last night but I was wondering if there were any suggestions to improve attaching the canvas to the tub. Those little screws look scary. I'm afraid of the canvas ripping around them because of their small diameter and also ripping gloves when handling the sled. I thought of adding some small strip of metal over the canvas to help secure it to better seal it too. The holes for the little screws may not like it if I take the canvas off to store come spring. Any suggestions for fasteners?

I emailed the company last Sunday inquiring about their "High Speed Tracking Kits" for my model, as their site doesn't list them and neither did Sportsman's Warehouse. No response yet so I'll likely attach some snowmobile hyfax with carriage bolts thread facing down, maybe adding a small block of thin wood inside the sled? Any thoughts on this idea?

Kevin

A friend of mine bought this house last year and had a good idea on the canvas to keep it from ripping when putting the screws in.
He had a torch lit and each time he put in a screw, he would heat the screw so that it melted the canvas. When the canvas cools it seals so that it can't rip very easily.
Maybe give that a try.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

I bought a qfII last season and was satified with the quality. I also had concerns about the canvas/cover ripping from the fastening system but made it through the season without any damage. I had mine up on Red and Winni in some terrible conditions (cold, wind,snow etc) and cover held up fine and it appears to be the same fastening method used this year. One feature that I really like in this years model is the velcro attached windows. I have cracked many of these window in the past and this seems like a good solution.

[This message has been edited by chucker (edited 12-08-2003).]

I bought a QF II last year and was worried about the 2 clips that hold the canvas also so i went to Lowes and bought 3 more conduit clamps and put them on the back to help out the other 2. All in all I am very pleased with its durability and weight. This is my first portable so I have nothing to compare it to but I have no complaints.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I have the Quickflip III this year and I'm impressed with Eskimo's upgrade in quality. Last year they seemed like cheap units.

This year they look and feel rugged and durable.

With the molding that goes completely around the canvas armor and tub, I do not see the screws being any kind of issue with respect to ripping.

The material they use is extremely rip resistant and the molding is designed to hold the canvas while the screws are designed to hold on the molding.

If you screwed the little screws directly into the canvas, then I'd say you messed up and are right to worry.

I also like the extra space in these units.

A big thumbs up on the Eskimo Shelters.

I'm still a big Otter fan. I just had to test out something new this year after 3 years with my Otters. It was hard to part with them.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-08-2003).]

Thanks for the replies, especially Rick. I have not yet attached the canvas to the sled. Perhaps I read the directions wrong and I hadn't gotten to the part about the rubber yet. I'll be thinking about this at great length before the weekend fishing trip.

Kevin

Rick. I thought about the QF III as well as it had so much overall room. I had two concerns with this larger unit. Portability and getting it in my truck bed. I went with the QF II and am at the moment am very excited about my choice. I like the sled it appears very durable, I like the mesh pouches, the wind flaps on the outside, the removable velcro windows, and the overall look of the "green machine" on the ice.

I have last years QF3. I can tell you I prefer my removable swivel bucket seats to this years bench seat. Sat in the new one and it just didn't feel as comfortable to me.Like I stated before my only minor complaint with mine is the brackets that attach to the sled are just a little too high to fit under the tonneau cover in my truck. No biggie.

Rick,

There really has only been minor changes/improvements to the Eskimo house's from last year. Changes I noticed from last years model of the QFII: Bench seat vs. 2 swivel seats, Velcro mounted windows vs. sewn windows and a single back vertical rod support vs. 2 vertical back rod supports.

As far as I can tell it's the same sled, tarp and basic design.

I had to send my tarp into Eskimo to have the plastic windows replaced this fall and Eskimo repaired the windows and all the rips and tears in the tarp from last year’s abuses. They returned to me in about a week with no hassles and repairs exceeding my expectations. I think Eskimo has a nice house and they will diffidently stand behind their product.

I would buy another Eskimo fish house.

I've got a 2 year old Eskimo Caravan that's great when I need to be mobile and/or I'm fishing alone. The tub is really strong and roomy, even with the padded seat and back rest.
A couple weeks ago I sent an email to Ardisam asking if they'd made any improvements in there fabric since mine is very thin and blows in the wind way too much. It's also starting to show signs of wear where the poles rub it when I take it down and during transport. They replied a week later and said their sewing department was looking for options. On Monday of this week they called me and said they found a cover in stock that might fit, and since sewing a new one to fit would be very costly they wanted to send me this new skin in hopes that it would fit my house. That was Monday, 12/8....the new cover was delivered to my office yesterday !! Free of charge....they even paid for overnight delivery ! It's much heavier canvas than the original and the price is definitely right !!! I'm sure I can make it fit when the original cover finally wears out, even if I have to make minor alterations myself.

Thank you Eskimo !!!!
You can't beat great customer service !!!!

I can attest to the service as well. When I put my unit together one of the little snap pins inside the sliding poles broke. I called the company and they expressed shipped the part I needed along with 5 bonus ones just in case I have a like problem in the future.

I'm in the process of assembling my QF2 right now. The quality seems quite good for the price. My one concern is the thin material on the bottom of the tub. I can see this getting worn through in a couple years. There has been talk of runners for the bottom to avoid wear. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? What to buy? Where to buy it? How they go on?

Icehouse, I would call the company at the 1-800 number listed wiht your unit. I have not seen the item your are looking for sold locally. The covers are sold at Fleet. I will be field testing the QF II on the horseshoe chain tomorrow.

Concerning the high speed tracking kit for QF IIs, they replied that they don't sell them direct. They suggest The Country Store and gave a toll-free number. I could provide that with Rick's blessing.

Kevin

I picked up my Quickflip III without a bench seat for $239 at L&M Fleet Supply. They are located throughout Minnesota, just do a websearch for it and you find thier HSOforum which will give you all the info on store locations. They also carried the hitch, cover, bench seat and hyfax kit. I could not find anyone that even came close to their prices, if your close to one they would be the ticket.

Fisherdog

People at The Country Store had no listing for a high speed tracking kit for a QFII. They do have one for the QFIII for $29.99. I'll likely fasten some snowmobile hyfax on somehow. Anybody else come up with a fix yet?

Kevin

I got myself the QF3 last year my father in-law got the 2, My only problem was the windows cracked due to very cold weather up at the URL last year,I called them and they tell me there is nothing they can due becaues I can't prove it, Well any way its an easy fix,But that is the only problem other than that they are a very nice house and getting alot better from what I can see at the stores,
The Hyfax would be nice to get and have not see one in my area stores,But nothing a little Pam spray can't handle LOL.
Good luck with it and enjoy,

Thanks for the replies,I did go with the QF 3 with the bench seat, cheapest I found this house in my area was at Mill's Fleet Farm. The windows are now replacable, they are attached with velcro, a very good idea. I am looking forward to using this house.