• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar FL-8 Doesn't Work - Help Please?

juddfish

Question

Went to turn back on the Vexilar FL-8 yesterday after i had shut it off for a while and it didnt turn back on. Checked the power cord with another unit and it works. So it must be something wrong with the unit itself. Does anybody have any ideas what would be wrong with it or how to get it fixed? Any info would be great!

~juddfish

12 answers to this question

sounds like the same problem i have with my eagle that i use in my boat. my unit comes on 99% of the time but once in a while when i turn it on, nothing happens. my problem is in the on/off switch. when i play with the switch it will come back on. in my case i turn the unit on and if nothing happens i turn it back to the off position as far as it goes without actually turning it off. there must be a short in it because as soon as get to point where i get pressure on the switch to turn it off, it will power up. like i say it will then work fine again. not a big enough problem for me to waste time/money to get it fixed.

not saying thats your problem, but something to look at. it sounds similar to my problem.

------------------
Roop

BUMP!!!!! It costs 40$ to have vexilar even look at the unit. who knows what it costs to have them repair it. what would you do? has anybody had theres repaired and if so what did it cost you? thanks

~juddfish

sounds like either use vexilar or fish lectronics,fish lectronics replaced my motor
in my fl8 last year for around 35$ i think,
there in the phone book,get there early for a
fast return as i'm sure there busy now

You can also email them. Last year they replied promptly to me with a probable diagnosis and explained in detail how to fix it myself if I wanted to do that and also gave me an estimate if I chose to send it in.

Over the years, I've taken several Vex's to their service center and always had great service. If they can, they'll fix it while you wait so you don't have to make a second trip. Last winter, I took in two for out-of-town relatives who had abused them badly. One needed a new motor, they did it on warranty, even though it was several years old. The other left the back of a pickup without filing a flight plan. They totally rebuilt it and tested it and only charged for the new case,, no labor. But then, I did bring them a box of chocolate donuts. When I bought a reconditioned FL18, they threw in two free hats and an extra foam float, since one of the cats had destroyed the one on my FL8. Good folk.

I took a 12 year old unit to Vexilar last summer. It was totally shot. New transducer and all of the guts had to go. I think the only part they saved was the case. I had a bagfull of trashed parts handed to me when I returned 3 hours later. Cost $130 but the guy said it was "ready" for another 12 years. For something you depend on, I think it was worth it. And I wouldn't have expected them to do all that for cheap.......T