• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waubay Ice,Bite, Information

Would appreciate any information on the ice conditions on Waubay or area lakes?

Coming out this coming weekend and wondering :

a) How the ice is holding up? Better to drive truck or pull an atv out there?

B) How has the bite been? AM?PM?

Again, appreciate any information those that have been out!

Capt. B.R.K.

Here is Info you were asking for.

Sportsman's Cove,LLC

30 W. Hwy 12

Webster, SD 57274

(605) 345-2468

Give them a call, they can give you the latest info.

Mike

Thanks MAP!

I called the cove: Here is the report for Sunday, March 13th.

Not many groups out on the lakes, reports mainly from Waubay. Fishing East of Duck Island and Renville in deeper water has produced some perch. Walleyes in shallower water.

20+ inches of ice, but heaves and cracks to be conscience about. ATV recommended.

That's it from the recording.

Ice is much better today than last weekend. Everything has froze back up. Perch were moving but not really interested in anything I threw at it. Had one hit on a waxxy that was it. Tried everything, every color every size, they were more interested in getting some camera time. Moved around alot and saw alot of fish on camera but they were pretty finicky. caught some nice walleyes just before dark so the day wasn't that bad.

We were all over the lake. Started east of Grenville access saw a few perch no takers, about 24-25' of water. then moved down to School bus point along the heave and west. Also went out of the South public access Kanagoo (or whatever) saw a few perch every where we fished. 1 or 2 at a time, no big schools like a week or so ago. Have to be pretty patient. I think it is pretty hit and miss and I think I was missing more than hitting!

I've caught alot of perch out of Minnesota lakes in the past, but ive never caught anything bigger than my hand, I dont believe Minnesota has the population of so-called jumbos like we have in our area. But you are correct on waubay taking a beating, it gets tougher and tougher every year to find them sons-a-complains.

Just a beautiful day out on the ice Saturday! Spent the day out in the Webster area. Couldn't of asked for better weather with temps in the 30's and very calm winds-just great weather!

We had to work for our walleyes and perch all day long. We targeted the walleyes in shallow water (10 or less feet) and the perch were in 18-20ft.

Out of 3 guys, we caught a few fish:)

Sloughshark- Talked to the owner, I presume, of Sportsman's Bait shop in Webster. He stated that the fishing is getting tougher, but because there is so much more baitfish, freshwater shrimp, etc. for those perch to bite. He did say that the number of perch taken in the last 3 years has significantly dropped........again, do to the food in the lake.

Don't shoot the messenger, that is what I was told.

Hey guys, is there any new info on the ice conditions in the NE part of the state, I was planning on heading to Waubay or the area lakes for one last bite??? THANKS

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING!!!

Ice is plenty thick, but getting soft. There are some heaves to be mindful of, so ask about em' at the local bait shop.

Otherwise lots of trucks driving out on the ice. We were on four wheeler wishing we were driving the truck.