• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Patching Holes in Portable Sled

Seeker of Clayface

Question

I'm sure this has come before as a topic but I don't recall what suggestions were given. Anyhow, one corner on the sled of my Fish Trap has really worn down and a hole has developed. I'd have to apply some type of patching/reinforcement to the entire corner on the outer surface. What materials and methods would work best?

[This message has been edited by Seeker of Clayface (edited 11-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Seeker of Clayface (edited 11-30-2003).]

9 answers to this question

The problem with the Trap tubs (I have a Trap II) is that they're made from a material that has oil impregnated, so a whole lot of agents don't bond to them.

How big is the hole? That makes a difference. There are techniques to weld on patches using heat, but so far I haven't had to pursue that.

Also, you can get hyfax runners (not sure who has them where you are, but outdoors stores carry them) and mount them over the hole, or you can go the cheap route and get a garage sale pair of cross country or downhill skis and fasten them to the bottom. As well as (maybe) covering the hole, that'll help you tow it easier and will protect the tub in the future.

You should do an online search using the words Fish Trap and Clam to find the manufacturer's Web site. Then contact them with our question. I know they've heard the question before, and they'll know just what to do. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

What about mouse holes. Last year I bought a Frabill "Hideout" for $10 and with the cheap price came many mouse holes. Some as big as four or five inches in width. For the time being I have them duct taped. But would it work to perhaps rubber cement some pieces of tarp over the holes. Any other suggestions?

Try some tarp cement and some patch material of the same like material. I have even used the straps from an old lawn chair to patch tarps.

Saturate two pieces with tarp cement and apply on from each side. Add a weight to hold them secure. They bond together well that way.

You will need to have the tarp completely dry and warm to get them to dry right and stick. So indoors will be the best bet to fix it.

Depending on how that tarp will take heat a iron one patch may do the trick too?

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

On my old Otter I used Tear Mender and canvas to patch holes. It works great. I have patched many holes and tears over the years on the Otter and haven;t had any problems. Tear Mender is available at Mills Fleet Farm.