• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First timer fishing Canada water...

Hello out there. I am from WI and am heading to Crow Lake/LOW on the 17th of this month. Are there any special rules/restrictions for crossing the boarder or fishing in Canada besides the obvious (licenses, limits, etc.) I am also aware that I cannot bring any live bait over. Are there any other restrictions? Thanks in advance.

JH

Not sure about Crow Lake, but in general the best Canada advice I ever got was to watch for rocks.

In 7 years of fishing, we've taken out one lower unit, but that is one too many for me.

Another thing about Canada, it is hard to find good bait sometimes, but LOW shouldn't be a problem.

Gotta buy bait there.

Also, keep your receipts, you can get your PST or GST, forget which it is, back if you get a refund form at the border when you exit and fill it out right, etc.

I usually get a check for about 30 bucks back every year.

PST = Provincial Sales Tax. In Ontario, it's 8% on most stuff you purchase.

GST = Goods and Services Tax. Federal tax that applies to almost everything as well. 7%

When departing Canada, you can stop at Canada Customs and pick up the paperwork to claim some of that back. The paperwork will explain all of the ins and outs. Save your reciepts, and you should be able to get some-->most of it back.

Some of the bigger things are: hotels, meals, shopping...I don't think it applies to every single purchase you make. In fact, if I recall, some things have to be over $100 before they will accept it. You might be able to grab the paperwork at Candada Customs on the way up for some light reading. crazy.gif Forms might also be online.

Good luck, and enjoy your first Canadian experience!

you can submit for your refund via mail. The place we stay at gives us the paperwork so we don't have to stop on the way home to pick it up. You may be able to get it online also that way you don't have to delay your trip, actually if memory serves me the resort fills out the paperwork for us so it's accurate and I don't have to figure it out.

Hey Green and Gold,

I struggle giving a Packer Backer any advice (Just Kidding!)

I just returned tonight from Crow and Lake of the Woods. We did not do well on the Lake Trout on Crow but did we have a riot on the Crappies on LOTW! Last Friday afternoon between 8 of us we caught 500 crappies between 11-13 inches in Stevens Bay not too far from Hay Island. As fast as you put the line down, a fish would be on. They were in 22 feet of water and before the jig would get to 15 feet the crappies would rush up and take the bait. We used pieces of minnows and at times had contests to see how many you could catch without live bait. It was an absolute blast, the best crappie fishing I have ever had (better than, Rainy, Red Lake, Webster, SD.and St. Croix River). The Lake Conditions are great.

LOW Lover

You can only get the PST back. We have another name for GST and call it Gouge Sc--w and Tax.

Don't bring you hand guns or for that matter any guns. Make sure you have your ID and birth certificate or passports would help but NOT really necessary.

Do NOT worry about rocks if U are coming up on the 17th. The ice should by all means keep your lower end out of the water. We drove our vehicles on the river in Manitoba today as we still have about 4 ft of good blue ice.

Hey Hemlock or other Canuck posters!

If you buy a big ticket item like a boat motor, what do you do to get a refund on PST. I submitted for a 4k motor and they denied me for failing to provide export something or other.

Thanks.

It was a big chunk of money and I'm a little peeved about it all, but my brother said I got off easy.

Danfall, I really don't know. I can throw out some guesses though. confused.gif

When you purchased it, did you declare it at Canada Customs on the way out of Canada? Did you declare it at US Customs on the way in to the States?

I'm sure you needed to do more paperwork than you ever would've imagined. I've got phone #'s for Canada customs at Rainy River and Fort Frances if that helps you. I calculate $320 ($256 USD) I'd say it's worth looking into anyways. Good luck.

A friend of mine bought a motor from a dealer in Fort Frances, they delivered it to the Canadian customs, so no tax had to be paid. When we stop at the US customs, they looked at the bill of sale, were good to go. Me on the other hand...I bought a 16ft Crestliner and trailer in Emo, no problems at FF, but at US customs, no problem with the boat, no duty(or my friends motor), but they would not let me take the trailer across. It did not have a US DOT sticker. It was made in Manitoba. The seller bought the trailer back(it was seperate of the boat anyway) and had to pick one up from the dealer at the Fort. It was a lot of driving around for our trip home, but the '96 Crestliner(no motor) only cost me $1200 canadian, maybe $950 US.

Doug