• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The 2005 Detroit Tigers will.............

buzzsaw

Why in the world do you guys bother responding to that Tigers' fan? I told you he obviously has blinders on. His talk of ressurgence(sp?) in Detroit is way out of line.

Remember, never wrestle with a pig...they like it, you get dirty.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Backherup,

How's things above 8 Mile? Glad to see one of the windy city's finest could help out the kittys in their SWEEP of those Twinkies. Kyle with the win...YES. So far this year, the Twinks have been swept by the kittys and my beloved Pale Hose. Wait, NEWS FLASH...SOX WIN...Complete game by Garland and a shut out to boot. Keep it going against the Tribe and we can only wish good thoughts for KC. As usual...

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD....YES! Windy

Windy, hate to burst your bubble, but only two games of the three-game series have been played, so it doesn't quite qualify as a sweep yet. Don't you have an A's message board to terrorize right about now?

Quote:

Windy, hate to burst your bubble, but only two games of the three-game series have been played, so it doesn't quite qualify as a sweep yet...

Yes it does...It was a scheduled 3-game series, that became a 2-game seriesgrin.gif. Most likely, Sunday's snow-out will be made up when the Twins return to Detroit for 2 series', July 21-24 and Sept. 12-14. Neither of those series, however, has an off day before or after it, meaning Sunday's postponement could result in a doubleheader one of those days.

Now here's what MLB.com referred to as a "sweep of Minnesota". Sorry, I know it hurts, but it counts too...

-------------------------------------------

Tigers rally to sweep Twins

Two-run seventh earns club win over division rival

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The bullpen had a lead in the seventh before giving it up with manufactured offense. A critical error in the eighth provided an insurance run. The other team's closer shut them down in the ninth.

Sounds like a formula for another late-inning loss. Only this time, the hitting came from the Tigers, and the bullpen collapse came from the Twins.

"They're human," Carlos Guillen said of Minnesota's relief corps.

Monday's 6-4 win at Comerica Park earned them a sweep of their snow-shortened, two-game series against the Twins. It also gave them some much-needed momentum heading to Cleveland after a two-day layoff for winter's last blast.

Most impressively, both wins came in the late innings, which had been the time Detroit looked all too human for the first few weeks of the season -- and to an extent, still did on Monday...

Though Twins relievers had given up four runs to Detroit this year, all of them had come from Terry Mulholland and Matt Guerrier...

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire went to Rincon following Guillen's one-out single in the seventh, Twins starter Brad Radke's 11th hit allowed of the game. Rondell White greeted Rincon with a single up the middle, then Dmitri Young drew three consecutive balls from Rincon before walking on a full-count delivery to load the bases. Rincon recovered to put Craig Monroe in an 0-2 hole before Monroe slapped a 1-2 pitch through the left side and past a diving effort from Punto for a game-tying single...

Detroit's late-inning equivalents made sure the Twins couldn't rally. Farnsworth, Ugueth Urbina and Percival combined to strike out five of Minnesota's final seven batters. Just as important, the Tigers pieced together an insurance run off a shaken Romero.

Nook Logan singled and advanced to second on Brandon Inge's sacrifice bunt. Gardenhire chose to walk Ivan Rodriguez to bring up Guillen, much to Romero's apparent dismay. While Romero worried about Rodriguez, who was exchanging words from first base, Logan received a green light to steal.

"I just tried to put pressure on him," Logan said. "That's what they do to us. They try to put pressure on us to score runs. It's time for us to give it back to them. Same thing in basketball. That's the way you beat a pressing team. You press them back."

Logan took off for third. Mauer's throw one-hopped third baseman Michael Cuddyer and bounced into left field, allowing Logan to score and Rodriguez to reach second.

Seconds later, Rodriguez and Romero were jawing at each other while being separated from each other...(blah, blah, blah...Romero is a whiner!)

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com.

I'll check in again on Saturday night... grin.gif

I'm going to have to disagree with you Back, but there are a couple schools of thought as to which series you should count a postponed game for. Ironically, it usually depends which side of the sweep you're on. smile.gif

Bottom line, I suppose, is that is doesn't matter. Games matter, not if a team sweeps, or how long the series is.

Why is this guy talking about the tigers? Its obvious they arent going anywhere again this year. I suppose it wont be long and we'll be listening too how Blowy Harrington will be MVP of the NFL next year.

And as i said before there were 13 people in the stands for that game with the defending division champs. If there was all this excitement about the tigers there would have been 5,000 walkup tickets sold along with the 18,000 pregame sold.

Hey windy your boys have had nice leads before on the twins the last couple years and it lasted about so long. We all know its just a matter of time before they dump the bed.

Hey James,

As Da Coach, Mr. Mike Ditka said, "Living in the past is for losers". Like Janet Jackson sings, "What have you done for me, lately?"

So Pikehunter, when the Tigers beat the Twinkies four in a row in June, or whenever they play the makeup game will you say that the Tigers swept the Twinkies twice? Does not make sense my man, but then when do Twinkie fans ever make sense?

My beloved Pale Hose and now the Kittys sweeping the "baggie-dome" boys. Tsk Tsk.

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD.....YES!

Windy

I would say its all too relovent when talking about the white sox too talk about blown division leads the last couple years. Thats not called living in the past, thats called looking at things realistically which you dont seem too want too do. Its a long season my friend and we all know that a 5 game lead 20 games into the season will give way too a twins lead at some point.

Quote:

As Da Coach, Mr. Mike Ditka said, "Living in the past is for losers". Like Janet Jackson sings, "What have you done for me, lately?"

Atleast we now know our buddy from Chi-town is a huge fan of Janet Jackson!!!!! Blah ha ha!! That explains alot to us! blush.gif

Quote:

Jermaine Dye dropped a routine fly ball by Marco Scutaro in right field for a two-base error in the eighth before pinch-hitter Erubiel Durazo singled home Scutaro for the go-ahead run two batters later, lifting the A's to a crazy 9-7 victory

Bummer you guys lost last night! all because of errors?! same old team!

Did all the snow melt in Kramerica Park yet? At least Milwaukee was smart enough to put a retractable roof on their stadium. Of course, I guess if no one shows up to watch it probably doesn't matter where they play! wink.gif

Oh Woa Is Me,

My beloved are mired in their worst slump of the year, 2.

Hey Buzz congrats on beating up on that Triple A team from KC, you guys might actually sweep them, but so could a decent high school team. Good luck with a real team in the next series.

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD... YES!

Windy

Windy mouth-

Who are you for in your series agst the backerup kitties?? Hope you sweep the cats to shut up your buddy backerup? Then us twins fans can concentrate on the yearly white sux collapse when you lose you 5-6 game lead in June and don't know what hit you come Aug. Can you say a Chicago baseball team??? I sure can. That whole city is under the curse of Shoeless Joe and the Billy Goat. do what you will with chi baseball all you want, they are so bad they curse each other. YOu can put it on the board-- no chicago team has won a world series in over 86 years... YESSSS!!!!! and the sad thing is that CHI has TWO teams, the red sox have or had 1. Let's keep history rolling and Chi baseball bowling come OCT.

Poster (I mean "poser"), buzzsaw writes:

Quote:

"... all because of errors?! same old team!

Good thing for us Tiger and Sox fans is...the Twins aren't the "same ole team"...their defense sucks this year.

You currently rank 11 out of 14 (A.L.Fielding Stats ) in team defense with a .980 fielding percentage.

Where are the Tigers? They rank 8th with 15 errors to the Twins 18 errors.

How about that Cuddyer at third? He leads all Major League 3rd basemen in errors this season (MLB Stats: Errors at 3rd base)

Maybe he should play at 3rd base wearing a catcher's mitt! grin.gif You never know, he couldn't play any worse!!

"Losing the right side of the infield (Koskie and Guzman) won't hurt a bit..." especially down the stretch. Man, it feels good having an All-Star at short (Carlos Guillen) whose also leading the league in hitting.

Oh yeah, how 'about the Tigers "sweep" of the Indians? We've scratched our way back into 3rd place, 3 1/2 behind the Twinkle-ies...The .500 record in April won't hurt their confidence one bit either, considering Detroit stood at 6-10 on April 21! Though the White Sox matched a franchise record for most wins in April with 17, the Tigers' late-month recovery means they'll enter May five games back in third place in the AL Central. They've avoided building the early-season hole that plagued them in so many years.

"It's like the skip (Alan Trammell) said: Get to .500 and take it from there," Rondell White said. grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

They've avoided building the early-season hole that plagued them in so many years.

I will give you the props on the come back they have made to get back to respectable but your quote above sounded a bit off. Early hole? A team being plagued by a early hole might fall 10 back and only get within 4. Your team the last few years has fallen 10 back and ended up behind by 45. That sound like a early, middle and late hole to me.

back her up didnt seem to see that cuddyer is tied with someone else for the lead in errors at third base with(5) and his favorite tiger Brandon Inge is right behind him with (4) errors with a whole bunch of others give everybody the straight facts and not the facts you think looks better why dont you have pitching stats? how about that Troy Percival? grin.gif

Quote:

back her up didnt seem to see that cuddyer is tied with someone else for the lead in errors at third base with(5) and his favorite tiger Brandon Inge is right behind him with (4) errors with a whole bunch of others give everybody the straight facts and not the facts you think looks better why dont you have pitching stats? how about that Troy Percival?
grin.gif

They are the straight facts!!! MLB.com!!!...who's on top?!!grin.gif Cuddyer! grin.gifCouldn't be any straighter. grin.gif You kill me!!

As far as Inge goes...he's had 66 total chances (FPCT of .939) to Cuddyer's 59 chances (FPCT of .915), so he's handles 7 more grounders than Cuddyer with less error and he's playing a new position this year too (he played shortstop in college, but that was quite awhile ago). I'll take Inge's glove and bat (Inge vs. Cuddyer batting stats) any day over that "tyrin'-to-be" Cuddyer...Actually, I like Cuddyer. He's gonna be good someday, be he's struggling at the plate and that has everything to do with being an "everyday player at 3rd base", trying to replace the irreplaceable Koskie...he'a not handling the pressure very well...

...and as far as Percival goes, he's 2 for 2 in his last 2 save opportunities. I'll take him down the stretch too.

Buh-bye, for now...gotta go work in the yard... grin.gif

Tigers can't put it together against Chicago's Garland

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

Jon Garland kept the Tigers from getting an early lead, something they have done in 12 of their previous 16 games. He retired 14 straight batters from fifth inning until the ninth after Carlos Pena's second hit of the game put the only Tigers runner in scoring position all afternoon. Complete Story...

White Sox win 8th series of the year off Garland's gem

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Jon Garland continued his early-season brilliance, shutting down the Tigers for his second straight four-hit shutout, during the White Sox's 8-0 win over Detroit at U.S. Cellular Field Sunday. The victory gives the White Sox eight series wins in nine played during 2005. Complete Story...

Oh well, at least we're tied with the Twins in May...0-1! (Santana loses)grin.gif

...and we live to see another day...against the Red Sox, starting tomorrow! grin.gif

Oh let's see how many Tiggers pitchers won 17 straight and did they win 2 out of 3 against Chicago this weekend? Didn't think so. Ya know, as great as the Sux are supposed to be, they sure haven't run away with this thing have they? Even you guys still have a shot! BTW, Kramerica Park sure looks nice in the photo but I don't see any snowmen... grin.gif