• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The 2005 Detroit Tigers will.............

buzzsaw

1. twins

2. detroit

3. cleveland

4. chicago

5. KC

even though the twins don't have the best offense, the picthing will be the best again in the AL. looks like joe mays will be back to his 2001 like self when he was so dominating.

lets get this season started!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on Fri Mar 25 2005 05:51 PM, james_walleye writes:

Quote:

Im trying too find any logical reason that you think the vikings will struggle the next couple years?? That one totally boggles my mind. That has too be 100% pure hope because there is nothing there too base any thoughts on.

I'm struggling with your command (or lack thereof) of our English language.

"Too" is an adverb. Not a preposition. You meant to use the word "to"...Now let's try that again... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

...The X-Factor: Ordonez was one of the game's great right-handed hitters before he hurt his knee last year, and if he rebounds, he'll be an RBI machine.
But if he never is fully healthy again
, it's possible that his contract -- $75 million for five years, maybe another $30 million --
could haunt this mid-market team for many, many years...
The Tigers are not in a position to afford a $15 million DH.

------------------------------

Just getting around to responding to your post regarding Ordonez' contract...

Someone didn't do their homework!

02/07/2005 11:30 AM ET

Tigers to introduce Ordonez

Team calls press conference for Monday afternoon

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The Tigers are expected to introduce Magglio Ordonez at a press conference Monday, after the two sides reportedly agreed on a five-year deal worth $75 million.

The 31-year-old Ordonez will get a $6 million signing bonus and a $6 million salary in 2005.

The contract reportedly calls for a $15 million salary in 2006, $12 million in 2007, $15 million in 2008 and $18 million in 2009. Detroit has a $15 million option for 2010 with a $3 million buyout and a $15 million option for 2011 with no buyout.

In addition, Ordonez's salary in each of the option years would become guaranteed if he has 135 starts or 540 plate appearances in the previous season, or 270 starts or 1,080 plate appearances in the previous two seasons. If his 2010 salary becomes guaranteed under this provision, it would be for $18 million. The 2011 salary would be $15 million. Also according to reports, the deal can be voided if Ordonez spends 25 days on the disabled list in 2005 with a recurrence of his knee injury.

Quote:

"Too" is an adverb. Not a preposition. You meant to use the word "to"...Now let's try that again...
grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Now that you have corrected James' grammer, would you like to post a response to why you believe the Vikes are in a downward cycle, or is picking on his mistake the best you can do?

I can't wait for his answer to the Vikes question!! I just heard Salisbury and Clayton talking on ESPN radio yesterday and they agreed that Minnesota has had the best off season of any team in the NFL so far!! Then they tossed in the fact that they have two #1 draft picks and need to make up for the loss of Moss. They also both agreed that the Vikes are definitely the front runners in the division heading into next season!!!

I'm certain your theories make more sense than these two guys who get paid to do this for a living so lay down your Detroit madness on us! shocked.gif

Let me start out by saying that Magglio Ordonez is a pretty good hitter when healthy. Now let's look at what the twins got for about 10 million a year, and what Detroit got for about 15 million a year.

Twins: Johan Santana, reigning Cy Young Award Winner

Tigers: A hopefully healthy, pretty good hitter with very little speed and decent defense.

I suppose if you want you can get excited about that.

Please correct my english and feel free to reply.

Tigers lead the A.L. in batting (as a team)...

A.L. Team Batting Stats

Pretty good start so far, hammering out 7 home runs in Comerica Park already. Without Magglio Ordonez too (viral infection). He's expected back Sunday or Tuesday (@ Minnesota).

The pitching has been outstanding as well. Second in the A.L., but it's really early to tell. They've gone through the rotation once and Mike Maroth was the only pitcher with a bad outing (Wed. lost 7-2 to KC) and he's known to be a slow starter...he'll be OK.

A.L. Pitching Stats

Unfortunately (or fortunately), it's a long season and it's one game at a time... grin.gif

Quote:

AND they scored 11 more runs today! NOT BAD AT ALL!!

I'm surprised at your "humbled' demeanor. Looks like the blades on your "buzzsaw" need sharpening! Either that, or the Twins need to start winning. The Twins just don't look good to me. I mean, how could they have improved over last year? A team that didn't accomplish their goals to begin with, by losing Koskie, Guzman and Blanco and not replacing them with equal or better components? They will have to over-achieve this year (in my opinion), to win their division again. Not enough depth either. Carlos Silva went on the D.L. too. Time will tell...

Barring any serious injuries to the Tigers, their offense has improved (on paper anyway) from last year's team, which was 4th in the majors in runs scored. They had 10 guys hit HR's in double figures...that will go up this year too.

Their pitching is the big question. Again, on paper and according to spring performances the pitching looks like it could drastically improve over last year's model...we'll see. Only time will tell...

The Twins gave the division a headstart last year and look what happened.... again! I'm not worried about not being in first place after the first week, I'd be worried if we were 5 back with 4 to go... I guess thats how one starts to think when he/she is used to winning divisions year after year. cool.gif

Heres more......

The Tigers turn to Mike Maroth (0-1, 12.27 ERA), who was hit hard in his 2005 debut Wednesday. The 28-year-old Maroth gave up five runs and 11 hits in 3 2/3 innings in a 7-2 loss to the Kansas City Royals.

Detroit has split four games since, including a 7-6 loss to the Cleveland Indians on Sunday. Jeremy Bonderman was tagged for seven runs in six innings in the defeat.

Minnesota has dominated Detroit over the past four seasons, winning all four season series by a combined record of 46-19 Minnesota has dominated Detroit over the past four seasons, winning all four season series by a combined record of 46-19

When is the last time the Tigers were in a chase for the div title?? After last July your posts got quite small. Easy to talk the smack, but let's see that pitching staff carry the kitty kats to the div title, or , may we say, agst the Yanks or Sox??? can you say,, JOKE!!!!!????????

Hey "Can't back it up" Whats your prediction this week.... your starting pitchers are: Maroth, Johnson & Robertson vs Twins: Mays, Lohse & Radke.

Can't wait to hear from the guru. laugh.gif

Backherup is not responding do to work obligations. He is now on his way to transporting Jeremy Bonderman and his personal belongings to the minors. Soon he will be back and proclaiming Bonderman the Cy Young leader, thou , Bonderman's at Dumptroit's AA farm. Soon, we will here how Dumptriot is the most improved team in baseball. Soon we will here how Dumptroit's manager is the best since Sparky. Soon Dumptriot will be 10-15 games out and very soon we will here no more or very little ( when Dumptroit wins 2 outta three from the SUX) from Ican'tbackherup-anymore becasue Dumptroit sucks and has since 1987.

Mr. Percival meet Mr. Stewart! And a fine welcome to Minnesota! Troy Percival used to own the Twins, I guess when you put on that Detroilet uniform it kind of brings out the double A ball in you! It was nice to see Mays come back from "Tommy John" surgery and perform Okay. How about Jason Bartlett taking Maroth yard!! I hope you weren't playing with your semi truck tonight, I'm sure you saw the game and were all excited in the 8th inning... up one with Yuckie Urbina tossin' BP up there, up one run and poof he blows it again! Then your dumb manager brings in your closer in a non-save situation and he blows it! Beautiful!

Trade Urbina!! He will bring your team down! smirk.gif

Twins Fans----

Remember when Percival was with the Angels?? The Twins I think didn't score a earned run agst him in like 37 innings or something. The guy DOMINATED the Twins. Funny how things change when you put on a DUMPTROIT uniform. Check the box score from tonights game. Uggie looked rightfully Dumpy also. Twins with justin and Silva,,, Dumptroit don't stand a chance.

I thought that Percival would take the game into extra innings, but then along came Shannon and it's Detroit confused.gif and the Twins grin.gif The W.I.N. is in the Twins again and it ain't just the spelling!

Well we get that stud of theirs tonight... Jason Johnson with an ERA of zero or something Detroit superstar like! Oh, heres a scoring update Jason Johnson throws 34 pitches, gets ONE out!! (Good job stud) Gives up seven hits, one walk and five earned runs!! NOT BAD FOR 1/3 of an inning pitched!! LOSERVILLE!! Oh hey, good idea bring in something called Ginterbait... 4.2 innings pitched and only two earned runs!! update... Joe Mauer laces a single that scores Punto.... good job Jamie Walker, way to make the scorecard! This is exactly why your Tigers cannot and will not compete with Minnesota for the Division title... NO pitching!! You may have a 20 million higher payroll than us but we have Terry Ryan and a phenominal farm system... look at Bartletts, Tiffees & Mauers contributions so far in this series. We don't go out and buy "OLD" talent, we grow it! You've got to know your team can't hang?! Please just tell us that your medication ran out. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Anytime the twins can get a win with Lohse and Mays starting is an extra. Normaly if one of those guys wins we will pick up the series win for sure. Now that they both win you have to think of a sweep of the MotorCity Kities. Time for brad to pitch a good game.

Note to Brad Radke, Throw some junk and a lot of it, the Tigers cant hit offspeed stuff.

ff

His M.O. is that he doesn't respond unless his team wins!! Period! He's been reading this and just can't handle the playful abuse. If Detroit beats Radke tonight he will be back from his imaginary road trip. tongue.gif

Game notes:

Twins pitchers combined to strike out 12 batters. ... Over the past five seasons, Minnesota is 58-19 against the Tigers. ... Lohse improved to 6-1 in 12 career games against Detroit. ... Stewart has a hit in all eight games this season. ... Johnson won his first start of the year, against Kansas City on April 7 when he allowed five hits in 6 2/3 scoreless innings.

Game was over after the first inning last night. Detroit's pitching is bad. If they would have tried to spend some of their money on pitching, maybe they could compete for the division but I don't see it with their starters and their bullpen. Look at the whitesox, they got some pitching between this year and last and are looking pretty decent right now.

I heard there was a special on brooms down at Fleet Farm or was it Home Depot? 10 more runs against that Detroit pitching staff tonight and a few more booted balls from there defense! What can I say... pitching and defense wins games... along with 10 runs! It's gotta be so disheartining for "Cantbackitup" to talk all that smack (will it ever end) only to have his team get swept, spanked trashed in a three game set with the lowly Twins (per Dmitri "not so" Young). The only thing Detroit players are better at than the Twins are talking trash! and maybe sweeping it up as well!

Buzzsaw,

You know they had the same special going on at Wal-Mart last night when I was there. Evidently they had prematuraly stocked them last weekend at the request of an all too eager White Sox fan, but we all know Santana took care of that. The sales clerk told me that they just kept them on the shelves without sending them back because they knew Twins fans would need them after the Detroit series this week. grin.gif