• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Build your own hole inserts out of 5 gal buckets

Ronsay

Question

Just finished building my hole inserts and they fit perfect in the hole covers.

I purchased the buckets from a local bakery for $1.00 apiece.

Just cut the top off,on top of the ridge just above the handle with a linoleum knife with a new blade.

Put a straight edge or 2x4 across a corner under one corner of the house frame and measure from the top of the hole to the top of the 2x4 or straight edge. If your going to use a 2x on each corner of the house when it's sitting on the ice add 1 1/2 inches. Mine netted out at 5 inch, and I added an inch in case we drop it on snow. I cut the bottoms off with the table saw, works slick, just hold it easy against the backing and turn it easy.

Purchase (Foam Tape Weatherstrip) 1/2" thick 3/4" wide x 17' long 1.79 at fleet. Two packages did 5 hole inserts for me.

Start just below the ridge under the handle and put two wraps on each hole insert. These go in nice and tight and totaly insulate the hole.

Note: Make sure you use the white buckets as they will draw the light and allow you to see the bobber better. The insert opening will be a good 11" after cutting, and the handle will make it handy to pull out when finished fishing, they are also tapered some so they stack for storage. I went around the inside of the top with the linoleum knife to take off any sharp edge that could cut the fishing line. The best part, less than $9.00 to do 5 holes.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet