• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice on the carpet

Daveo

Question

Just kinda wondering how everone keeps the ice off the carpet when drilling new holes.

It kinda stinks when you go somewhere for a few days and start off with wet carpet...so looking for some tips hints or ideas..thanks

BRING ON THE ICE!!

4 answers to this question

If I'm short-timing, I pre-drill the holes and shove the house in position afterward.

If you're drilling in the house, I built something that looks like a triangle with a shelf on one side that sits up around the hole. It collects alot of the ice, slush and water.

The brand of auger you have has a lot to do with it. My Strikemaster turns pretty slow and that keeps the chips under the floor. I borrowed a friends older Jiffy last year, and the thing threw chips everywhere! It spun a lot faster than the Strikemaster. I also keep a broom in the shanty, and that cleans up any mess I might make.

------------------
Wables

I auger first.... before I fire up the heater. Auger carefully especially just before you go through. Don't "plunger" the holes like outside. Keep it cold inside helps and sweep, like Wables said.
I also keep a couple of those battery powered fans to move around wink.gif
Thats part of the reason that I'm replacing the holes with troughs, in my hardside.

I'm anal when it comes to snow, ice and junk layin around the shack. I know a guy with a shack and you cant stand within 3 ft of the hole without sliding in. You lay something down and it slides in the hole.

Cut out the bottom of a 5 gal bucket.
Place that over your hole and drill, it'll keep all the ice chips off the floor.
When you clean out your hole don't scoop it out the door, scoop it into a bucket.
Shovel the snow off the ice in front of the shack and make everyone stamps the snow off their boots. Use rugs that you can shakeout along with a broom.