• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cat dreams

PYROPAL

Blake made a point that I think alot of people may miss. NIGHT FISHING. Yes the kitties can be caught and in very respectable numbers during the day but get out there after dark and look out. Only one question, Blake, your 2nd picture below the locks sure looks like day light to me, was that another time?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canuck

I have been going for a few years, I think the two pics are from different trips. What I normally do, is sleep-in real good in the AM and then headout about 3 hours before dark, then I fish all night. I have had my best luck around midnight for some reason. Not only that, but battling that heat midday in August with no wind and no way to cool down is not for me. I like fishing when the sun is down.

Corkin can be really productive at night as well as the kitties come up on that east shelf after dark and it is only 2 to 3 ft. Park just outside the shelf and cast in. It is amazing how few people up here fish at night for catfish.

You may have caught Blake mentioned it was August and that is usually one of the slower periods of time. I would put that to the heat and high sun. If you havn't tried night fishing for kitties you are missing one of the better times and once U have tried it you too will be hooked.

On my last trip up there (2 years ago) we tried night fishing & had a blast! We set up a couple lawn chairs on the end of Stu's dock & caught 5 cats in about an hour. I can't wait to try that again, maybe with lighted slip-bobbers. Also, it was a nice change of pace after bouncing around in the boat for 8 or 9 hours. Normally, we're pretty beat up after catching monster cats all day but we had to give the night bite a try. The best part was the fireworks show that was coming from Selkirk. This was mid May & I'm not sure what the occasion was but the fireworks started exploding right after I released a 20 lb cat. It would have made a great picture! Nice to meet you on that trip Canuck & I hope to get back up there soon. - Vern

Vern: That would have been what we call the May long weekend or the 24th of May. I am hoping to have the area right below Stu's docks baited up for carp this year and that can also be a nice break from bouncing around in the boat for 8 hrs as well. The nice part of fishing off the docks is U can kind of still cast down stream and not get that many snags. Look me up when U come up again and I will show U a couple more areas where U can shore fish especially at night with probably NO competition from other fishermen.

my monster came home. i got this 20.5 lbs on a bullhead. thanks to fisher dave and jeff b.for stoppin by to drop some bait off. blacksportsman took these pictures for me.maybe next time he can get a picture of my head.but in all i had a great all nighter with blacksportsman. my next dream is a 40+ flathead.....

Dennis: Nice fish: Personally this spring I am finding the kitties seem to be alittle heavier for the spring time. Did U guys find that?????

On Monday I landed one that weighed 26.9 lbs (37 1/2").

Still LOTS of current and the kitties are co-operating.

Canuck,

From my point of view they are all heavier up there, all the time. grin.gif

Seriously, I don't have much to compare. I have only been up twice now. this spring and last fall.

They do seem to be "fuller bodied" than most spring cats that I run into in my area.

Dennis,

Don't you just love those cats that don't lose much girth all the way back to the tail? That hawg could probably play linebacker for the Vikes.

Ralph,

Nice work on the cats. The pictures are making me antsy to get back to the Minnesota or Mississippi to chase some flatties.

MJ

Way to go Robby!.. You did catchabiggun! I'll be up to Stu's playground later this year and am looking forward to it bigtime. I'm fishing the Rock River in Illinois in two weeks..that should be cool too.

My best so far is 31#.....

31lb.jpg

Kevin: A new bar set the past 3 days. I had a gentleman from Kansas out for 3 days. He is 83 and unbelievable. His name is George Stevens. Well in 3 days and I mean 3 days not nights he boated, get this 155 sumo kitties. His last fish was 27.3 1/2lbs and that was on a digital scale. Now I threw a rod in as well therefore technically there was 2 rods in the water but he fought and landed all 155 fish. Can U imagine doing that when U are 83.

I can tell U my back can attest to the event and looking forward to a couple of days off. I HOPE.

I hope I'm doing that when I'm in my eighties! ....Not just sitting in the old folks home yelling at the nurse that its time for my bath grin.gif

I'll crawl to the river bank if I have too.