• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your Favorite 6lb test fishing line

ksdog

What do you guys like to use to pitch jigs at walleyes and crappies ? I usually cast 1/16-1/8 jigs. Let me know some of your favorite fishing lines. Can't afford to try 'em all..

TFI Camoescent. Triple Fish International out of Florida. This is the strongest, toughest, bad a** line I've ever found. Superior knot strength and extremely abrasion resistant. I caught a 47 inch Muskie 2 year's ago using the 8 lb test. After CPR'ing the fish, I carefully inspected the line for nicks.(Didn't have any)Also inspected the Palomar knot closely.(Solid as a rock)So I just kept on fishing. Needless to say, I was very impressed! smile.gifcool.gif 1DIRTBALL

6lb test p-line, I used it last year on my walleye rod and it is awsome, actually it was so strong that I am going to spool up my walleye rod with 4lb test this year because I have absolute faith that it can handle any fish in the lake. Last year I had 4lb test p-line on my crappie rod and landed a 16lb carp with it, no problem.

P-line P-line P-line, its the only way to go

walleye guy

Trilene XL, it's a line that casts well, and has excellant knot strength and best of all, it's not too stiff, or too limp, but just right. I discontinued using Stren about 20 years ago, and ocassionally try other lines, just to try and find something better, but I keep going back to XL. It's worked for Walleyes, Lakers and Northerns and 2- 38" chrome torpedos (Steelhead)

Find a line that has the feel you want. That's most important.

For Crappies and Walleyes I like 4# trilene XL on a light to medium light rod.

You really need to match the line to the rod and the fish you are fishing for. To light for the rod and you are gonna have break offs, too heavy a line for the fish and you ain't getting bites and just winching in the ones you do get ain't all that much fun. wink.gif

I have to go with trilene also but I use both XT and XL and love them both. The XT has a bit more memory but is much tougher while fishing in snags. 90% of the time you can bend the hook out on you jig while hung up with the XT in 6lb test. Its paid for itself every year with the money I save in jigs.

Been using XL since it was invented, but this year I'm trying Cajun on at least one reel. Really tough stuff and hard to break, even at a sloppy knot. One down side: this winter I noticed a lot of memory in the line, but maybe just because with the cruddy luck I've had the last month or so it rarely got wet...

Every year there seems to be more and more line choices that hit the shelves. I've had a chance to try many of them through demo samples. There are lots of great lines out there but I think it is hard to beat Berkley XL. Year in and year out it has convinced me it is still the best.

Jason Erlandson

P-Line year around. I use it on open water and icefishing. If you want to save a couple of bucks than Bass Pro Excel is a good line. It`s strong,cheap (for the amount of line that you get) and doesn`t coil that bad.

I see many are posting P-line as their favorite line. I have had some trouble with P-line in the past. While using the 10 lb. I snapped the line on six hooksets during my weekly bass tournament. It was NEW line and I am very attentive to knicks, abrasion, knots, etc. and in all cases I can safely say that the line just couldn't take the shock (the same shock that I've put many other lines through) and simply broke. Now as far as the 6 lb. class goes I am very impressed, so far, by the new Berkeley Vanish TRANSITION. Walleyes and crappies both have keen eyesight and this line, though more than visible above water, is truly invisible just inches under the surface. I was skeptical about trying it because regular vanish seems to retain a lot of memory on the spool but the new transition doesn't make that an issue. Plenty of castability, sensitivity, and it's visible to me and not the fish. That is my pick for walleyes and crappies in the 6 lb. class.

hothand,

I had 12 lb test p line on my baitcaster and never had any problems with it. just curious, what kind of knot were you using when you broke your line so many times? Just wondering because I had broken my line using some various knots but once I switched to the polomar knot (sorry dont no how to spell it)i have not had any problems since.

Walleye Guy,

I was actually using the polymar knot. It's my favorite knot and from what I've always heard, it was (is) one of the strongest knots you can use as well as one of the few that don't slip when using braided lines. I believe it happened on more than one of rod/reel combos too. I don't know what else to say except the line broke and since then I've switched and experimented with others.