• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting a transducer

Steve Bakken

Question

My depth finder doesn't read at speeds over about 10 mph. I've tried to lower it so that the entire unit is under the bottom of the boat and that doesn't seem to matter. I've got an Aumacraft with rivets on the bottom of the boat, so I know that's usually a problem. I just thought that my old unit read at faster speeds in the same location as this one. Does anyone have any magic solutions? I'll probably get out again this weekend so I could play with it then.

9 answers to this question

Make sure your ducer is not mounted in line with any rivet patterns.

The front of the ducer (point closest to the boat) should be set 1/8" lower then the hull of the boat, and the rear of the transducer (part of ducer furthest from the boat) must be either perfectly level with or just slightly lower then the front end of the transducer to prevent it from creating any cavitation of its own.

If this doesn't fix it you may have a faulty ducer.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

My depth finder doesn't read at speeds over about 10 mph. I've tried to lower it so that the entire unit is under the bottom of the boat and that doesn't seem to matter. I've got an Aumacraft with rivets on the bottom of the boat, so I know that's usually a problem. I just thought that my old unit read at faster speeds in the same location as this one. Does anyone have any magic solutions? I'll probably get out again this weekend so I could play with it then.

I have a Lowrance X-15. I swear that my old Eagle read at higher speeds with the transducer in the same location. I've tried to stay away from the rivets as much as possible. And I've tried raising and lowering the ducer with no real differences noticed. My father-in-law has the same unit and has pretty much the same problem.

Thanks for the replies.

As jigsticker noted, make sure that the flat bottom face of the transducer is angled slightly forward, that is, with the rear of the transducer slightly lower than the front. In other words, so that the bottom face plows water in the direction of travel, just raising and lowering the unit may not effect a change. Hope that is written clearly...Good Luck!

Fish On! grin.gif
The Fishin' Engineer

Yes make sure your transducer is tilted a little forward so the back of it is lower than the front. Like united jigsticker stated. Heres a picture: tip002-1.gif
Maybe since you only get a reading going at 10mph, your transducer is at too much of a angle, because your boat is riding at a higher angle in the water(unless your already up on full plane).
If you still don't get a reading keep switching the angle of the transducer until it reads. Takes a little of trial and error but it should work. If your transducer can read when it is sitting still it can read when it is moving, that is if its mounted correctly.

------------------
Fish ON!

[This message has been edited by PikeEye (edited 10-21-2003).]

We've had a few customers come in with the same problem, and a good cleaning to remove the lake scum sometimes solved the problem. Also, there is a very good chance that it has to do with the sensitivity settings on the actual depthfinder unit. Next time your out, try playing around with the sensitivity adjustments. If it's too sensitive, it picks up alot of clutter in the water and also the turbulence and air bubbles when your driving. Those are the two most common causes that we've seen here at the shop. Hope it works.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com