• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Here are a few pics I took on a typical cornfield mallard hunt in November here in SD. The camera really dosn't do justice as far as how close we worked these birds. (Mind you it is a really cheap wally world cam) If you get sick of me posting pics, let me know,

Andy

Scan0004_0004.jpg

Scan0005_0005.jpg

Scan0007_0007.jpg

Scan0006_0006.jpg

Scan0003_0003.jpg

That is SWEET to say the least.

Keep on posting, I enjoy your photos.

I noticed the pictures have a date of 11-30-04 and people here in MN want to open the season early. Not saying we would have seen numbers like that here in MN but close to it. I have seen nice flocks in late Nov and early Dec.

Nice photos. wink.gif

Great pic's!

I had the mallards come into our goose decoys like that a few years ago in North Dakota when we went on our one and only guided goose hunt.

We were trying to fill our last two geese limits when they came in and I shot a few greenheads but not our limit.

So we end up shooying our limit of geese and the guide wanted us out of that field right away so all we could do was watch them ducks as we picked up decoys.

So after we ate breakfest, we went searching for ducks on our own only to find potholes with only with gadwalls and teal. No mallards to be seen.

Never will hunt with a guide again after he told us to leave a field with huntable mega-flock of mallards! mad.gif

So the guide didnt mention anything about a time limit before you set up the trip? I find that very hard to believe. But, I guess anything is possible.

I have hunted the rice fields west of Houston, and the lease they had, you could only hunt until noon.

No problem for me, because I knew it going into the hunt.

I will do it again whenever I get the chance.

It does suck to go get the dekes when there are still birds flying, but its the way it goes sometimes.

I can see why you would be upset. On the other hand, I can see why the guide wanted you out of the field after you killed your limit. Some outfits have many clients comming and you did shoot a limit of honks, so he probably thought the remainder of the geese in the field would continue to use it. That way he could possibly hunt that field again with his next st of clients. Scouting to put people on birds day in and day out can be extremely tough, trust me! By doing that he didnt completely burn up that field. As far as mallards go, we ususally kill a limit, then take down the spinners and let the birds eat, sometimes right around the blinds. We sit and be quiet, dont spook them, let them finish and fly off. This way we can hunt the same field up to 3 times.

JMO,

Andy

Quote:

....YOU CAN'T PUT A TIME LIMIT ON HUNTING!!! lol

S.A./wdw

wanna bet?...Sometimes you have to. If they paid for a half day trip...thats what they get, especially if I have an evening group schedualed as well.

for the record Jimbo, I was being facetious...obviously there are reasons why a guide would want to preserve a field for future clients...it just would be hard as a hunter to watch all those mallards dumping into it without being able to hunt it.

S.A./wdw

ps- for someone's first post ever, you came off a little too cocky.

I have to agree with S.A.

Jimbo you must be a guide or know someone who is a guide.

The guides that I have known never hunted a field more than once in a day. I could see a guide trying to get you out of the field as fast as he could if shooting hours where over and he wanted to hunt it in the morning or Yes if you where only booked for a half day hunt.

Where we hunt in MO for snows, we only hunt till 2pm and we where told that up front.

Quote:

I bet you won't get any friends on here if you post things like that I still consider myself a newbie, but I have never posted anything in that tone of voice. even though I couldn't hear you I could just tell you were beetchen'

whom is this post directed towards?

SA/wdw

Come on boys... can't we all just get along? Let's give Jimbo the benefit of the doubt here. Email doesn't portray ones tone and meaning like a conversation does. I could see his post as simply an opinion from a guides point of view, without the intent of insulting anyone.

Anyhow, Finlander was there, and feels he was sold short. Nobody can disagree with his feelings. Jimbo only responded that there is sometimes valid reasons for ending a hunt by a certain time. Being a guide, he may have felt that his side of things wasn't being portrayed. Maybe Fins guide didn't do a good job of explaining why he was ending the hunt when he did. Either way, Fin has a right to be upset (I would have been too). Jimbo just provided a possible reason that the guide acted that way, and stated that time limits can be set on hunts.

We are all men with something in common... our love for the persuit of fowl! Let's welcome Jim, and let him know that we appreciate opinions from all sides of the issue. I'm glad that as one of the moderators here, we haven't had the problems that some of the forums have with people bashing each other and their opinions. I don't want to have to be a "Post Deleter" on this forum. So let's keep it civil, and get it back on topic.

**I think maybe we're all "Jonesing" for season to start back up again? LOL!!

Duck-o-holic

jimbo, take a deep breath and relax. I went back and read the post again about the guide booting them out of the field. I will say he says they where on a gudided GOOSE hunt and that they had there limit of geese with a couple ducks as bonus. He does'nt ever say it was a half day hunt or not. IMO if you go for a half day hunt and are after geese and you have your limit of geese you are done. If you get a chance at some ducks before your half day time is up then it is just a bonus.

just my $0.02

jimbo, mr wizard has not commented on this subject...yet. i have hired guides maybe ten times or so, some good some not so good, but the timetable/limits reached is usually understood when the deal is made. half day means half day unless the guide is somewhat flexible where you could pay for the rest of the day if the field was going to be vacant. relax and adapt to the situation. if you know there are ducks around, start scouting for a spot and get the decoys out.

"Mr. Wizard"- I believe he was referring to the real "wizard" on these forums, as that would be me.

As far as Jimbo's retort is concerned, I hardly see how my dislike of a particular sporting goods retailer has anything to do with me being cocky...it's called expressing ones feelings. I personally have never used a guide, I would clarify how long we would be allowed to hunt the particular field.

How about we agree to let this issue rest.

S.A.

wow i think i saw that many mallards once in my life in a flooded corn field!!!! your pics and hunts seem to be top notch. youve got something special goin on with all those hunts you post pics of. makes a guy want to quit his job and chase birds for five months out of the year! if you ever have an empty blind id be glad to haul *ss up the interstate!!!!!