• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hull Cleaner

8-Ball

Question

Alright- I just pulled the boat out of the lake. It has been in the water all summer. Lots of grime, build up, etc. on the hull and lower unit. What is the best cleaner to take off the "gunk" -without harming the paint, etc. of the boat? Thanks in advance!

11 answers to this question

I like CLR for the build-up, if it's rust stain I like a product called Iron Out. Both can be purchased at your local grocery store. I used to spend $20+ on those fancy boat cleaners you can't use unless you have a gas mask, no more. The store products for bathroom and kitchen work just as well if not better. I have a white Yar-Craft, and when it gets stained I mix up some Iron Out and spray it on and watch the stain disappear in front of my eyes.

I have never left my boat in a slip for a long period of time but when I wash my boat(fiberglass) I use SIMPLE GREEN.

It works great and its the best I have found to take the water spots off the Merc!

I have not ruined any stickers or anything, it takes the Mississippi scum right off

----------------
RiverTown Guiding
Mississippi River
http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

I would caution you to be really carefull with the Scotch-brite pad. Those are one of the things we use here at the shop to prep the boats for painting. Test it on a small area first. If you can see scratches or dullness, you may want to use something else. Sorry, Chris. It is a very good idea, I've just seen those things do some major damage to paint and I'm just saying, be carefull. One more thing you can try that still rubs off contaminants but won't abrade the paint is the spongy woven plastic thingermajiggers that we use when we're doing dishes to scrub the pots and pans. Not the SOS pads but the plastic ones.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

I have used straight vinegar. Let it sit on there a little bit and put some elbow grease to it. Might have to apply a couple of times but it does a great job. I always rub it down with some spray on type wax right after.

Guys, I have been there... and done that... with every cleaner on the shelf!

"My" lake is Tetonka and it is pea-green most of the summer... thus forming a scum and alge line on the boat that nothing short of acid will remove!
I tried many that cleaners that failed before I started using Nautical Ease Boat Bottom Cleaner. It works great and it works fast. It will take the "green crud" and lime deposits off your boat with little to no scrubbing!

Nautical Ease makes several other cleaners... their Spray Boat Cleaner is a fantastic product also.
This cleaner puts the "orange, purple, & green" cleaners to shame! It cuts right through YEARS of grime with very little scrubbing. I spent an 1/2 hour cleaning my boat... my whole boat with this cleaner. This was an "all day" job with any other cleaner!

Here is a letter I wrote to the Nautical Ease Company after using their Spray Boat Cleaner...

September 14, 2001

Dear Nautical Ease,

I want you to use this letter to let everyone know how well your Nautical Ease Spray Boat Cleaner worked for me.

I have a 1987 Trophy 190 Alumacraft boat that has been stored inside every winter but has set outside in the elements every day, all summer, each year. Many times, I have left it in the water for days at a time. Algae and green scum lines form on the boat sides each year. The inside vinyl seats, carpet, upholstery, and trim have become very discolored, stained, and covered with grime! I vowed that this winter I was going to restore the boat interior and install all new seats, carpet, and vinyl trim molding. And this is a huge job!

I went today to spend some time, and effort, in cleaning up the boat. I vacuumed and began to clean windows and trim with Windex. I started cleaning the vinyl interior with a commercial grade "green cleaner", when I remembered that I had a sample bottle of the Nautical Ease Spray Boat Cleaner. I tried it. I was amazed at how well it worked. I used the hand spray bottle to mist the product over the same area I had just spent several minutes scrubbing before. The same area I covered when I was using the "green cleaner". With only a small bit of effort (using the same scrub brush), I took off years of built-up grime and stains from the areas I had worked so long & hard on minutes before! It cleaned up the mess left behind! I went on to clean up the whole interior. I did mot mind as it was so easy... and fun to see the filth being rinsed away with such little scrubbing effort!

I cleaned all of the interior of my nineteen foot boat in less than thirty minutes! Not only is it clean, it looks like new! Now, I do not need to restore the interior. I even cleaned the boat bumpers, which looked so bad that I was going to buy new ones for next year! Now, they do not have a single stain or mark on them! They are like new again. The smell of your product did not bother me at all. Because it was a spray, it was real easy to work with.

I then tried to use the Spray Boat Cleaner on the hull. The hull of my boat gets real bad from sitting in alge filled water and forms a deposit of lime on it. It gets so bad that all will ever work is "Zing". This Zing stuff is not good to breath and will burn your skin! Well, your Spray boat Cleaner took off all the film, stains, and deposits from my hull too!

I can hardly wait to try the sample of Nautical Ease "Boat Bottom Cleaner" to see if it works as well as your Spray Boat Cleaner.

You have the very best and finest cleaning product that I have seen in my 35 years of owning and operating a fishing boat. I am so glad that I got to sample your Spray Boat Cleaner.

Dave Hoggard

Well... I did try the Boat Bottom Cleaner... it was so fast and took every stain from my boat hull instantly!
I loved it!
And, I started selling it immediately. I have sold it for several years now.

You will find Nautical Ease Products now on my www.catch-n.com webiste under the "Specials & Rigging" yellow tab at the top center of the page.

This stuff works like magic. I am sure you'll agree once you have tried it!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

That's pretty good pricing on those cleaners, if you get two bottles. If it works as well as you say I would give them a try. Steve, good point on the paint surface, guess I was thinking more of an aluminum bottom boat.

Drowned Minnow, I am very glad to help.

I am sorry I but, have not loaded the "new products" section of my site into the part that handles credit card sales.

I am kinda new at doing the web-site sales gig on FM and I have been getting LOTS of help from Rick.

I am adding products at a frantic rate! I am soon to add the entire Nautical Ease line.
I should have the Nautical Ease products "loaded" soon, so you can use your credit card.

If you like... you may send me a check to cover the cost of your order. This will speed things up. Or, you may go to the Nautical Ease site and order from them.

Ordering from me (at Catch-N Tackle) instead of going to the Nautical Ease HSOforum to order will save you a couple of bucks... on shipping.
There is no shipping charge on any item in the Catch-N Tackle site.
You will also get the Catch-N Tackle running "Special" that is going on right now... which is five FREE Ring-N Grubs, with your order.

Main thing is that you get your order and get it right & get it fast. Either way, your order of Nautical Ease Product will be shipped to you straight from their factory.

A check sent to Catch-N Tackle will get that done in a jiffy.

Be sure to include a shipping address with your information and a phone number (or email) so I can call to verify your order, if needed. Product comes by UPS.
Send check to:
Dave Hoggard
Catch-N Tackle Co.
1035 Robert Pl. SW
Owatonna, MN 55060

Thanks,
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish