• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow on ROOF

tadpole

Question

5 answers to this question

What snow? I haven't seen measureable snow in northern MN in what, 3 years? wink.gif

The pitch of your roof will make a big difference. I've seen really deep snow on some of the shakiest roofs on really old shacks hold up fine.

If we get over 2 feet of snow it will be time to get it removed. I don't know any service that does this near Hackensack, but if it's really bad, I frequent the area and could help you out in a pinch. I end up doing it every (heavy snowfall) year at the cabin anyways! Our place is not far from Hack.

My answer? let it be, unless you have severe ice dam problems with water, or such a poor roof, construction wise, then you need a whole new roof, lumber and all. I removed lots of snow and ice from roofs in the twin cities as an xtra job during the 70's to the 90's. Believe me, everytime you touch your roof, especially in the cold winter, you shorten the life expectency of your roof a lot. That being said, if you do need help, call this winter, I live just north of Walker aways. Dave

why not just get a roof rake and do it yourself, i dont think that they are that expensive.....

------------------
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

I appreciate the help! I guess I will see how this winter goes. I'm in Indiana and we rarely see as much snow as you do up there. My roof is new so I'll follow the weather on the Ten Mile *** . web site and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Tad